2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a Mazda 3 year 2004 which I still really like. I'd like to get a new aftermarket head unit for it,
but some sellers (at least on aliexpress) say that the way the original LCD display connects in the 2004/2005 models is different and it will not work with their systems.

One seller has told me that some people managed to get the LCD display to work with their systems by modifying some connections, cutting the LCD display's wires and soldering them to the harness in a specific way.

Here is a diagram he's sent me:

(unfortunately there is no link to that page)

So my main question is: Did anyone do this mod on a 2004/2005 Mazda 3 and can say that it works?

would I be able to use my original LCD display with a new aftermarket head unit? if it wont work I won't be able to see the A/C level and temp which is the most important info there.

or else, could I see it in the new head unit? is this info available with CAN bus?

Another picture the seller have sent me:

It's pretty confusing, I have seen many pics within reviews that these units work for the 2004-2009 models.
but in this pic the seller writes that I could disconnect the LCD display entirely and all the info will be displayed in the head unit.
is that so? would I be able to see the A/C levels and temp in the head unit in any case?

I'd greatly appreciate any information about all this.

Many thanks in advance.

Roy.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Isn't LCD (Info display) part of the original radio? Here's wiring diagram requires Flash to view. Try wiring CAN H, CAN L from decoder box provided with new radio to 12 pin connector and see if LCD information display shows something. It seems you may have more wires in that plug than it's shown in diagram, can't figure it why.
EDIT: looking into this further and it won't work, people replace info display with a 2008-2009 version or leave as is.
Rectangle Slope Line Font Parallel

·
Registered
3 Posts
Isn't LCD (Info display) part of the original radio? Here's wiring diagram requires Flash to view. Try wiring CAN H, CAN L from decoder box provided with new radio to 12 pin connector and see if LCD information display shows something. It seems you may have more wires in that plug than it's shown in diagram, can't figure it why.
EDIT: looking into this further and it won't work, people replace info display with a 2008-2009 version or leave as is.
View attachment 286722
Hi Craz,
Thanks for the diagram, that is helpful. The display on showed the clock and ambient temperature, a lot of wires for just that, but would be happy to get just these back. I have attached the original radio and where the LCD display connected to it.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts