2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I will get my new M3 2.0 165 in a couple of days (I'm counting the hours...)

Do you recommend me not to pass x RPM the first 1000 km or something like that? The dealer hasn't told me anything about that...

Thank you!

·
Registered
468 Posts
realistically, don't flog it, but also don't drive it like an old lady

use the full rev range, not too much full throttle (but some) and DO NOT sit at the same revs for long periods of time

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you oscar.

One workmate told me about not to pass 3000rpm during first 500km, 4000rpm until 1000km, and then what I want...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you oscar.

One workmate told me about not to pass 3000rpm during first 500km, 4000rpm until 1000km, and then what I want...
Overall break-in is described in the owner's manual.

1) make sure not to put too much strain on the cold engine. This is the main source of wear and premature engine damage. Wait until the oil has warmed up. Always.

2) make sure to not use cruise control during the first 1000-1500 km. Running a new engine at constant power is not good if you want a vivid engine further down the road. Therefore, change engine load and revs often, shift a lot. It can't hurt to let the engine rev a bit higher by downshifting without load, too.

3) don't beat the piss out of it during the first 1000 km. Don't use kickdown (if you run an automatic). Use medium load and rev it up to 2500-3000 rpm during normal drives and get to 4000 rpm from time to time with low-to-medium load (e.g. in lower gear). If you run an auto, try to use the paddleshifters in manual mode because the auto tends to keep revs really low. Don't lug it either. Sustained high load in high gear at low revs is almost as bad as beating the piss out of a cold engine. I try to completely avoid high load in high gears below 2000 rpm.

4) minimize cold engine starts during the first hours. Better to drive a whole 2 hours than to drive 8x15 minutes.

5) since startups in general put much wear on an engine, I tend to use i-Stop as little as possible. There is that little button that allows you to switch it off.

6) if you want to be perfectly safe, you could change oil and filter after some 1500-2000 km to get rid of the initial wear products. But it is not really necessary in today's engines.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Overall break-in is described in the owner's manual.

1) make sure not to put too much strain on the cold engine. This is the main source of wear and premature engine damage. Wait until the oil has warmed up. Always.

2) make sure to not use cruise control during the first 1000-1500 km. Running a new engine at constant power is not good if you want a vivid engine further down the road. Therefore, change engine load and revs often, shift a lot. It can't hurt to let the engine rev a bit higher by downshifting without load, too.

3) don't beat the piss out of it during the first 1000 km. Don't use kickdown (if you run an automatic). Use medium load and rev it up to 2500-3000 rpm during normal drives and get to 4000 rpm from time to time with low-to-medium load (e.g. in lower gear). If you run an auto, try to use the paddleshifters in manual mode because the auto tends to keep revs really low. Don't lug it either. Sustained high load in high gear at low revs is almost as bad as beating the piss out of a cold engine. I try to completely avoid high load in high gears below 2000 rpm.

4) minimize cold engine starts during the first hours. Better to drive a whole 2 hours than to drive 8x15 minutes.

5) since startups in general put much wear on an engine, I tend to use i-Stop as little as possible. There is that little button that allows you to switch it off.

6) if you want to be perfectly safe, you could change oil and filter after some 1500-2000 km to get rid of the initial wear products. But it is not really necessary in today's engines.
Wow.. Thank you so much, very well explained! I will look at the manual anyway when I have it :smile2:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't be afraid to download the manual from Mazda - I had read and reread the good stuff well before I took delivery. It's also easier to search when it's downloaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well poop. I just got my 2017 m3 gt here in Canada and was not that careful. I loved using the radar cruise, just turned over 250kms.

Thanks for the info will take it easy from now

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts