2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Warning: Use this info at your own risk. Mazda3Revolution.com and I are not responsible for any damage you cause to your car. Always remember to keep your eyes on the road and be safe.

Thanks to the guys at the Infortainment Project I was able to turn off the speed restrictions on the head unit. Now I (or my passenger) can use all functions at any speed.

What you will need:
Wifi router with Admin access
Computer or Android tablet
A terminal program or app (I used JuicySSH on a 2013 nexus 7)

1. Using your computer or tablet access the settings in your router by going to 192.168.1.1
2. Find your logs
3. If disabled, then enable and save.
4. Access your DHCP logs
5. Start your car.
6. Access your router with your car in settings/devices/wifi
7. Check your DHCP log to find your cars IP (it should be something like 192.168.1.XXX)
8. Go to your terminal program or app
9. Start a new connection to your car's IP
10. Username is: root
11. Password is: jci
12. Connect to your car. You should see /tmp/root #
13. Type in: /jci/scripts/set_lvds_speed_restriction_config.sh disable
14. If done correctly it should say that it is disabled.
15. Type in: /jci/scripts/set_speed_restriction_config.sh disable
16. If done correctly it should say that it is disabled.
17. Turn your car off.
18. Exit out of the app or program.

From now on you (or your passenger) should have full access to your touchscreen, navigation, texts and settings while driving.

special thanks to @thezboe and everyone on the infotainment project thread.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Warning: Use this info at your own risk. Mazda3Revolution.com and I are not responsible for any damage you cause to your car. Always remember to keep your eyes on the road and be safe.

Thanks to the guys at the Infortainment Project I was able to turn off the speed restrictions on the head unit. Now I (or my passenger) can use all functions at any speed.

What you will need:
Wifi router with Admin access
Computer or Android tablet
A terminal program or app (I used JuicySSH on a 2013 nexus 7)

1. Using your computer or tablet access the settings in your router by going to 192.168.1.1
2. Find your logs
3. If disabled, then enable and save.
4. Access your DHCP logs
5. Start your car.
6. Access your router with your car in settings/devices/wifi
7. Check your DHCP log to find your cars IP (it should be something like 192.168.1.XXX)
8. Go to your terminal program or app
9. Start a new connection to your car's IP
10. Username is: root
11. Password is: jci
12. Connect to your car. You should see /tmp/root #
13. Type in: /jci/scripts/set_lvds_speed_restriction_config.sh disable
14. If done correctly it should say that it is disabled.
15. Type in: /jci/scripts/set_speed_restriction_config.sh disable
16. If done correctly it should say that it is disabled.
17. Turn your car off.
18. Exit out of the app or program.

From now on you (or your passenger) should have full access to your touchscreen, navigation, texts and settings while driving.

special thanks to @thezboe and everyone on the infotainment project thread.
For those of you who can't park close enough to your router in order to connect to your home WiFi, you can accomplish the connection using a laptop, and a smartphone that can create a WiFi hotspot. In my case, I used my Macbook with terminal application (to open the SSH session), and my iPhone to create the WiFi hotspot.

Step by step for opening an SSH session to your car:
- enable your smartphone WiFi hotspot
- connect both the car and laptop to the WiFi hotspot
- open a terminal application
- get the laptop's WiFi IP address - if you're using a bash terminal, run this command at the prompt:

Code:
ipconfig getifaddr en0 2> /dev/null
- using your laptop's IP you should be able to quickly determine your car's IP. Connected to my iPhone's WiFi hotspot, my laptop was assigned 172.20.10.3. I quickly determined that my car was assigned 172.20.10.4
- open an SSH session to your car

Code:
ssh [email protected]_car_IP
- enter password: jci

Disabling speed limitation

With the SSH session open, you can simply run these two commands at the prompt:

Code:
/jci/scripts/set_lvds_speed_restriction_config.sh disable
/jci/scripts/set_speed_restriction_config.sh disable
Copy, paste, and run each line separately.

Dramatically reduce the display time of the disclaimer screen

This is based on firmware version v29. Before running the following commands, verify that the file being modified (systemApp.js) is located in the folder indicated in the commands.

Code:
mount -o rw,remount /
chmod 755 /jci/gui/apps/system/js/systemApp.js
sed -i 's/this._disclaimerTime.remaining = 10000/this._disclaimerTime.remaining = 100/g' /jci/gui/apps/system/js/systemApp.js
Copy, paste, and run each line separately.

You will not likely see any difference in the disclaimer display time until the system undergoes a full reboot. The car must be off for at least several minutes, maybe a few hours. It's not clear to me how long one must wait for this to occur.

Attempt the above at your own risk.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For those of you who can't park close enough to your router in order to connect to your home WiFi, you can accomplish the connection using a laptop, and a smartphone that can create a WiFi hotspot. In my case, I used my Macbook with terminal application (to open the SSH session), and my iPhone to create the WiFi hotspot.
I had an issue with my router being too far away at first. To solve this I just unplugged my router and plugged it in the garage. Didn't have internet, but was able to connect my Nexus with the car.

Good solve with the hotspot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just ran this on my car using my rooted Note II. SSHed in without any trouble and the commands as well. I am on Version 28.

Left my car off for about 10 minutes and took a little drive through a backroad aaaand. it works! Thank you so much guys!

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is awesome!!! Thank you! This is exactly the answer i was looking for when I started that thread way back when about hacking the speed limitations for particular functions!

FANTASTIC!

I am going to try tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
165 Posts
@phile

Im so frustrated — I cannot connect the car to wifi. It wont pick up my home network so I tried the mobile hotspot and it still wont connect! I'm using the iphone 5s.

How can I overcome this? Anyone else having problems connecting to wifi in their car?

EDIT: Looks like its an incompatibility issue with iphone...typical >:O

·
Registered
47 Posts
@phile

Im so frustrated — I cannot connect the car to wifi. It wont pick up my home network so I tried the mobile hotspot and it still wont connect! I'm using the iphone 5s.

How can I overcome this? Anyone else having problems connecting to wifi in their car?

EDIT: Looks like its an incompatibility issue with iphone...typical >:O
I am using an iPhone 5s without issue. When you go into the Infotainment's Devices page and enable wifi, you don't see your iPhone's wifi network in the list? If that's not the issue and you are seeing the network, make sure the iPhone's is not sleeping. One of the quirks with the iPhone hotspot feature is that the phone must be awake in order to initiate the connection.

Also, you could expect issues with the hotspot feature if you're running OS8 beta.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can't connect to wifi either, all I get is a message saying "DHCP error. Failed to acquire settings." when I try to connect.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am using an iPhone 5s without issue. When you go into the Infotainment's Devices page and enable wifi, you don't see your iPhone's wifi network in the list? If that's not the issue and you are seeing the network, make sure the iPhone's is not sleeping. One of the quirks with the iPhone hotspot feature is that the phone must be awake in order to initiate the connection.

Also, you could expect issues with the hotspot feature if you're running OS8 beta.
Oh what??!

It picks up my phone fine, but it can't actually connect — I keep getting network error after it tries connecting.

I've had the phone awake every time.

Im on iOS7 and my infotainment version is 25.00.400

Are there any other tips or suggestions you have for me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oh what??!

It picks up my phone fine, but it can't actually connect — I keep getting network error after it tries connecting.

Thanks!

I'm at a loss, but here's what I would try (one at a time, and in this order):

- Enable the iPhone's wifi hotspot 5+ minutes before starting the car
- Network reset on the iPhone (Settings / General / Reset / Reset Network Settings)
- Factory reset of the infotainment system

If none of these resolves the issue:

- Drive to any McDonald's and try using their public wifi
- Enlist the aid of a friend with a hotspot capable smartphone
- Update the infotainment firmware at your Mazda dealer (v29 is what you want, the wifi feature has been removed from v31)

-phil

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh what??!

Thanks!
Depending on what kind of router you have, you should be able to just plug it in next to the car. You do not need internet for it to work. It just has to act as a go between for your laptop/tablet and your car.

·
Registered
964 Posts
@zombiejunkie I'm a dumbass when it comes to this programing stuff so can you walk me through it?

I'll be using a Macbook Air and a Comcast modem which has Wifi built in. I can log into the modem's setting via http://10.0.0.1 but beyond that, I'm stuck as I don't understand the DHCP stuff.

Also, does the Mac have a terminal program built in or do I have to download one?

I wanna have a functioning touch screen. Help a brother out!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@zombiejunkie I'm a dumbass when it comes to this programing stuff so can you walk me through it?

I'll be using a Macbook Air and a Comcast modem which has Wifi built in. I can log into the modem's setting via http://10.0.0.1 but beyond that, I'm stuck as I don't understand the DHCP stuff.

Also, does the Mac have a terminal program built in or do I have to download one?

I wanna have a functioning touch screen. Help a brother out!
To use terminal on mac: How To Use SSH on Mac OS X « Ask Different Blog

As for the comcast router, I am not sure. What make/model is it? I use a Linksys gigabit router and connect it to my comcast modem.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Its an Arris TG862. It has Wifi built in, so I sold my Cisco router a long time ago.

Ok, so it looks like you should be able to log into your router and go to connected devices on the left hand side. Find your car's IP from there.

Then with both your computer and car connected to your router, go to your terminal app. Connect to your car's IP and use the username root and password jci to connect.

If your router is too far away from your car's very weak antennae, you should be able to unplug the router and move it closer to the car. You do not have to have the coaxial connected. You only need the wifi to communicate between your computer/tablet and your car. No internet required.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts