2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

My wife has a 2013 Mazda 3 1,6 with rear parking sensors. I have noticed that some Mazda 3's of this generation has a button to the left of the stearing wheel, for silencing the sensors, hers do not however. Seeing as I want to fit a tow bar to the car, I would like to have this option to turn off the sensors. My local Mazda dealer (Copenhagen, Denmark) tells me this button can not be retrofitted, and that I have to let them fit an original mazda towbar with original mazda wiring, which will turn off the sensors automatically. I think he just tells me this to make more money.

Is there really no way to retrofit the "parking sensors off"-button?

This is the one I am talking about:

I hope you guys can help.

Niels

·
Registered
84 Posts
To make the trailer lights work you need a trailer module connected to the CAN-Bus. I think this is reasonably vehicle specific so I would expect all of them to mute the rear parking sensors.
If not, you could install a 3rd party tow bar but just buy the original Mazda Trailer Module.

On the other hand, my old Toyota Verso had an option to have a mute switch installed in the boot next to the rear parking module. Can’t give you more details because I never fitted it. I try not to drive backwards with a trailer.

Hope this helps,
Andy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To make the trailer lights work you need a trailer module connected to the CAN-Bus. I think this is reasonably vehicle specific so I would expect all of them to mute the rear parking sensors.
If not, you could install a 3rd party tow bar but just buy the original Mazda Trailer Module.

On the other hand, my old Toyota Verso had an option to have a mute switch installed in the boot next to the rear parking module. Can’t give you more details because I never fitted it. I try not to drive backwards with a trailer.

Hope this helps,
Andy
Thank you for the reply, Andy! The towbar kit i have thought of buying, does not connect to the can-bus. It just connects to the wires behind the tail light. Will I get in trouble, if I do it this way?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
.... And if I do buy the original Mazda trailer module, do you know if it is plug and play? Or do I have to the shop and have them do the computer thing...?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sorry, I don’t know the answers.

Looking at the installation manuals I got with the tow bar and electrics, I see that the “Electric Tow Bar Wiring Kit 13-P” is separate from the Tow bar. Looking in the installation instructions I see nowhere the instruction to do any configuration with the computer. I therefore think it is Plug & Play.

For your information I had some initial problems with the electrics; the trailer reversing lights would not always come on and the rear parking sensors did not turn off. Eventually Mazda brought out a revised module (revision A) which solved the problem.

Note that the above is for the 2014 model!

If you just connect to the wires in the tail lights you need to check that you do not overload the CAN-Bus module for the rear lights.

Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts