2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok let me start of by saying why. The i-stop system is supposed to save fuel, blah blah blah, well my car hit 10,000km's today and according to the app on the car i-stop has saved me 24km's! Wow.

This vs the the wear and tear on my car's engine from the constant restarts and shudder in the cabin and discomfort of having to sit through ozzy summer 36+ degree days without my A/C so my car can save a measly teaspoon of fuel is just not a trade of i'm willing to make.

Add to that my cars a manual so 50% of the time its mess's up my launchs cause my brain pyhcologially doesn't want to rev the car within a split second of starting the engine.

I hate it so much it was starting to ruin the car for me.

Spoke to Mazda they can't/won't switch it off because its a safety feature, lol.

Now i know theres a button to turn it off manually but that only works for that trip - it defaults to on again the next trip, i wanted a more permanent solution so here's how.

Get urself a piece of paper, fold it up and wedge the bloody button in! Walah! No more i-stop.

I know its abit unsightly but it works now everytime i start the car it bleeps instantly to tell me the i-stop is off. :)

Very very happy. And sorry for the rant.

Matt.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Haha, I have life hacks all over my home, office, car, etc. using this same philosophy, and the vast majority are jamming paper or cardboard in somewhere! This is how I keep the monitor up at work that's too long for the stand (Kleenix, a pad of post-it's, and a box of tacks).

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you want to make it less noticeable, get some black electrical tap and fold it over a few times, then cut it down into a small shape and wedge it in. That should help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah thanks i might try something like that, i actually figured it out in the carpark waiting for my mrs to finish work so didnt have time to create something neat. I will at the weekend.

Love the monitor hack haha

·
Registered
104 Posts
i also hate i stop and i am saying that this system is scam... nothing else
i allways turnoff istop when i start the car... i dont give a f... fot that growing trees on mzd.... blaaah

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any ill effects on your car buddy?
I mean, as it is, the button is permanently pressed. Just wondering if the computer got pissed off or something?
:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a solution to disabling istop, knowing that the istop button translates as 85ohms, you can design a small circuit that introduces this 85ohms into the system during just the first 5 seconds after starting the car. I've done it, just a N-FET transistor with a small 12v relay and some resistors and one capacitor. Oh, and the 85 ohms R ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
jumper

you can also try inserting a jumper cable between the cable terminals behind the switch. the idea is to keep the two cables connected as though the push button is being pressed all the time.

i don't know how this affects the car's system, but it's the same as wedging a piece of cardboard on the push button but without the unsightly cardboard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a solution to disabling istop, knowing that the istop button translates as 85ohms, you can design a small circuit that introduces this 85ohms into the system during just the first 5 seconds after starting the car. I've done it, just a N-FET transistor with a small 12v relay and some resistors and one capacitor. Oh, and the 85 ohms R ;)
Hi, any chnce of a specific parts list and a schematic? (One aimed at dummies will be perfect)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you Matt

I have just bought a Mazda 3 sp25 and the istop nearly created an accident for me. I was turning right and almost came to a stop when the lights changed and the car coming toward me stopped for the lights. I quickly tried to accelerate and the computer became confused as to whether I wanted to stop or go and made a funny noise and didn't do anything for a few seconds then accelerated. I have asked the tech if there is a fuse to remove the issue but nothing.

Thanks you so much for this simple fix.

I haven't stopped laughing at your post.

Cheers

·
Redtag
6 Posts
Hi folks,
I too hate the I-stop and drive in Australian summers. I heard that the I-stop will not function if the car believes the bonnet is open. So why not trick the bonnet sensor instead of working on the dash switch??
Redtag

·
Registered
667 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok let me start of by saying why. The i-stop system is supposed to save fuel, blah blah blah, well my car hit 10,000km's today and according to the app on the car i-stop has saved me 24km's! Wow.

This vs the the wear and tear on my car's engine from the constant restarts and shudder in the cabin and discomfort of having to sit through ozzy summer 36+ degree days without my A/C so my car can save a measly teaspoon of fuel is just not a trade of i'm willing to make.

Add to that my cars a manual so 50% of the time its mess's up my launchs cause my brain pyhcologially doesn't want to rev the car within a split second of starting the engine.

I hate it so much it was starting to ruin the car for me.

Spoke to Mazda they can't/won't switch it off because its a safety feature, lol.

Now i know theres a button to turn it off manually but that only works for that trip - it defaults to on again the next trip, i wanted a more permanent solution so here's how.

Get urself a piece of paper, fold it up and wedge the bloody button in! Walah! No more i-stop.

I know its abit unsightly but it works now everytime i start the car it bleeps instantly to tell me the i-stop is off. :)

Very very happy. And sorry for the rant.

Matt.
I feel your pain !
I have another very simple solution, turn on the cars windscreen demister and it overrides the iStop as a safety reason-in case the demister needs to be on too see in icy conditions! Waalaa, done!
Both front side vents still work so air flow is still pretty good. Not sure about a 35 deg plus day, but for the other 350 days of the year it's a perfect solution :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
disable istop

If you have a look at your negative battery lead at the connection you will notice a smaller extra connection on it thats the istop just unplug/disconnect it problem solved no more istop !

1 - 20 of 34 Posts