2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can one determine the actual build date from the VIN? My door sticker says it was built 9 -'15, but reviewing some of the recalls would like find out exactly. Thank you in advance!

·
Mazda Fresher
78 Posts
Hmm, from what I'm reading (online, grain of salt) the year is represented in the VIN, but not the month:

Step 1
Locate the VIN on your vehicle. It is usually on either the left side of your dash or the driver's side door panel sticker.
Step 2
Find the tenth digit. This is the beginning of the Vehicle Identifier Section (VIS) of the VIN, and represents the model year.

Find the corresponding year. The tenth digit started with B, which represents 1981. The letters follow consecutively for each year thereafter, down to Y, which represents 2000. The letters I, O, Q, U and Z are not used, so those should be skipped in the order. Beginning with 2001, numbers are used to represent the years, so 1 is for 2001, 2 is for 2002, etc. Starting with 2010, the tenth digit becomes a letter again, starting with A.
I checked it on my VIN and the year is correct (H = 2017), but that's likely not close enough for the purposes of a recall.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Can one determine the actual build date from the VIN? My door sticker says it was built 9 -'15, but reviewing some of the recalls would like find out exactly. Thank you in advance!
You mean you want to know if you have a Monday or Friday car? The short answer is no. There is no public website or decoder within the VIN which tells you the exact date. However, some dealers maybe willing to run the VIN for you and provide you that info. Next time you take it into Mazda, befriend the service department and they maybe able to help.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Some parts will have a build date on them but remember those parts are often made a few weeks or even months before the car is. My last few cars were Hyundais and one thing I liked about them was the fact they had the actual build date (month, day and year) on the certification label. As far as I know they are the only company to do this...not even Kia does it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts