2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have been looking into clay bars and different ways to clean/wax/protect the car. I have been tempted to do the quick hand wax at the car wash but I suspect I'd get my car back with tons of swirls and holograms in it so I am holding off and will try and do it myself.

On a side note, I saw my old car at the dealership the other day and even though it was in great shape, somebody had taken a buffer to the hood and there are now holograms all over it. Their detail guy should be fired if he thinks that's doing a good job of prepping a vehicle for sale.

·
Nie brykaj...
494 Posts
I wouldn't trust anyone but myself when it comes to detailing. Especially if you have a dark colored vehicle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Look up JunkMan2000 on youtube, he has some amazing detailing videos. You really have to spend sometime watching them if you want to learn though, they aren't 5 min videos but if you do it his way you will get results!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought my wife a 2014 Mazda3 i Touring on Saturday, and I plan on doing a full detail including wash, clay, minor paint correction, polish, sealant, and wax this weekend.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I gotta ask... what is the purpose of claying a brand new paint job? As I understood the clay helps pull out stuff from the paint that has built up over time. I did this with my Grand Prix years ago and it was great... white car, years of weather on it. But a brand new car should have nothing for the clay to remove!!!

I love my car but can't spend hours upon hours with a detail every time I want it clean. My typical "detail" is a nice wash/wax/polish, invisible glass the windows and add some tire shine/anything I want to interior.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Claying or otherwise decontaminating the surface of a new car will remove anything that may have gotten on the paint during shipping. Depending on where you are located, cars can also be covered with "rail dust" if they have been shipped by train.

·
Your friendly SpeedPunk
582 Posts
I clayed my brand new speed3 and got plenty of crap off the paint. U wont see it, but its there. Also, its always good to start fresh. Nothing like dealer prescribed swirls in brand new paint...they suck at detailing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
If your car is shipped by rail, you get what is called, diesel fallout. Even though the car has wrapping on it to protect it from the fallout, it still can get on your car if say there was an air bubble when they wrap it and a hole punctures that air bubble.
For cars that are delivered from overseas, it's even worse because not only can you get diesel fallout but salt from the ocean.
hope that answers your question as to why you need to clay after buying your new car.

Cheers,
Ian

·
Registered
35 Posts
with my OCD, I should not have clicked on this thread...

never really detailed my cars myself, except for regular washing and vacuuming, and everything was OK, but now I have a problem

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
with my OCD, I should not have clicked on this thread...

never really detailed my cars myself, except for regular washing and vacuuming, and everything was OK, but now I have a problem
Don't worry, you're not the only one. :biggrin:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't worry, you're not the only one. :biggrin:
I have some form of OCD too...
Am I the only one who opens the doors and boot to wash the door sills too? I just can't stand anything that is not clean.. lol

·
Your friendly SpeedPunk
582 Posts
Am I the only one who opens the doors and boot to wash the door sills too? I just can't stand anything that is not clean.. lol
Not ocd at all. I try to at least dry the water up from those areas and keep em clean.

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
I dont spray water there but it does get a little wet from when I wash the car. What I like to do is spray quick detailer on a mf cloth and wipe the door jams/trunk/underhood to keep the area clean. I also polished and sealed it with some Klasse. Any painted area needs to be cleaned and protected as well as the exterior.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not ocd at all. I try to at least dry the water up from those areas and keep em clean.

I dont spray water there but it does get a little wet from when I wash the car. What I like to do is spray quick detailer on a mf cloth and wipe the door jams/trunk/underhood to keep the area clean. I also polished and sealed it with some Klasse. Any painted area needs to be cleaned and protected as well as the exterior.
Well there ya go :D I'll try that thanks

1 - 20 of 38 Posts