2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
OMGWTFBBQSAUCE
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Quick guide on how to replace your shoddy manual knobs with better looking ones.

Pros:
-Knobs look and feel over 9000 times better

Cons:
-Knobs where meant for the 2nd gen so slight modification is required
-Knobs are just a tiny bit tight because they're meant for 2nd gen
-Knobs are transparent so it's a little hard to see the indicator during the daytime (nothing a little painting can't fix)

Verdict:
-Completely worth it just for the looks

Requirements
-Pliers
-Soft cloth
-A/C Knobs (http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=251882604530&alt=web)
-Metal spudger of some sort or small flat head screwdriver (http://www.wholesaletogo.com/images/7/ID0360S.jpg)

Time
10-20 minutes

Guide

Step 1
-Point all your knobs straight up / vertical position for easy reference later on when putting on new knobs

Step 2
-Cover knob with soft cloth and pull out with pliers. A little yank is all it takes (might be hard the first time you pull it out.
-Repeat for all three knobs.
-Note: you may have to set your car into neutral for enough clearance for the middle knob

Step 3
-Unpack your shiny knew knobs and make sure they are clean. Take a look at the back of the knobs carefully and you'll see 2 clips (comparison picture below).
-Shove your spudger/flathead/metal stick in there and wiggle or manhandle it for awhile until the clips break off. Try to break it at the base. It took me about 3-5 minutes each knob.

[iurl="http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67281&d=1403152201"]
[/iurl]
Broken clip on left. "New" clip on right. Each clip is about an inch long?
Also my "new" clips are a bit bent because I tried jamming it in the first time

Step 4
-Time to put your knobs back in. You did turn all the knobs so they point upwards right?
-Knobs will be able to fit in 4 different ways (indicator facing each direction for those curious)
-Just replace the knobs back in with each indicator pointing upwards and you're finished!

[iurl="http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67289&d=1403152566"]
[/iurl]

Step 5
-? ? ? ? ?

Step 6
-Profit!

[iurl="http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67297&d=1403152583"]
[/iurl]
You and your knobs profitting

Final Notes
-The knobs will be a little tight when you first install them. It'll break in eventually

-Enjoy your new knobs and let me know if you ever find proper knobs meant for our gen3

Update: fixed link

Attachments

·
14 Mazda 3 HB
30 Posts
Great advice! i wish they had GEN3 knobs

Ive contemplated taking out the whole HVAC control unit but the new ones are almost $300

Ill be sure to try this out

·
Registered
92 Posts
Interesting... I believe I got the gen2 knobs as well and tried installing on the gen3. Gave up after noticing they don't point in the right direction (they fit in 2 different ways but aren't the correct ways). I'll try breaking the clips this time. Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I got some knobs on eBay for the 2014 mazda axela and it fits. I just had to cut a little bit of the clips with a needle nose pliers.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey OP, thanks for posting this! It's something I'm definitely interested in doing, but surely there must be cheaper options than the $89 knobs in the link you posted. There are many other ac knobs on ebay for much cheaper, but I'm unsure as to whether or not they fit the same mold as the ones you posted. Any idea if there are cheaper options out there I can still do this with?

·
OMGWTFBBQSAUCE
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey OP, thanks for posting this! It's something I'm definitely interested in doing, but surely there must be cheaper options than the $89 knobs in the link you posted. There are many other ac knobs on ebay for much cheaper, but I'm unsure as to whether or not they fit the same mold as the ones you posted. Any idea if there are cheaper options out there I can still do this with?
Whoa, what the heck! They were ~13 when I bought them. Not sure why the price skyrocketed but I updated the link. Any knobs meant for the 2nd gen Mazda 3 will work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Whoa, what the heck! They were ~13 when I bought them. Not sure why the price skyrocketed but I updated the link. Any knobs meant for the 2nd gen Mazda 3 will work.
Thank you! I purchased them and though they will take about three weeks to get here, I will update you on how it goes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
okay, it's been a while but I got the knobs in..
bad news: the clips do not fit in the way they should. basically, when I turn the original knobs to 12o'clock, the new knobs do not fit in the same way at 12'oclock. the indicator on the new ones will be pointing at 6o'clock or another time so the indicator is always off.
any tips? did any of you guys have the same issue? i'm looking at my new clips and they look exactly like yours OP

·
OMGWTFBBQSAUCE
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
okay, it's been a while but I got the knobs in..
bad news: the clips do not fit in the way they should. basically, when I turn the original knobs to 12o'clock, the new knobs do not fit in the same way at 12'oclock. the indicator on the new ones will be pointing at 6o'clock or another time so the indicator is always off.
any tips? did any of you guys have the same issue? i'm looking at my new clips and they look exactly like yours OP
You need to break those clips off so the knobs can mount the proper direction

·
OMGWTFBBQSAUCE
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes I did that. I think I got a bad batch where the indicator on the knob does not line up correctly with the options on the car
That's strange..

When you break off the tabs, you'll be able to mount the knobs in any of the four directions (up,down,left, right, or 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock). so just put the knobs on in all directions and see which one is correct...otherwise I think you did get a bad batch. Maybe post the link so others' wont end up with the same knobs?

=(

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's strange..

When you break off the tabs, you'll be able to mount the knobs in any of the four directions (up,down,left, right, or 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock). so just put the knobs on in all directions and see which one is correct...otherwise I think you did get a bad batch. Maybe post the link so others' wont end up with the same knobs?

=(
the craziest thing is that it fits in the three directions except the one that needs to be the one. also, it's the link that you updated in the OP. i might contact the seller and see if i can get another batch sent to me

·
OMGWTFBBQSAUCE
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the craziest thing is that it fits in the three directions except the one that needs to be the one. also, it's the link that you updated in the OP. i might contact the seller and see if i can get another batch sent to me
Okay, let me know and i'll update the link

1 - 20 of 56 Posts