2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys, I think this thread is appropriate for showing how to change the oil on Skyactiv engine. Why the hell Mazda designed a very small hole to access the oil plug and the filter which I can't put my hands to unscrew the filter out?? It makes the oil, and oil filter change on my old Mazda Mx3 looks so easy despite the filter is way up above the front wheel axle. After a hour of trying to take the filter out, I gave up and left it there (it's a Fram En tended Guard filter XG6607). It is not worth it at all to do it at my own.
But, I can show you the correct tools for do it right.
1. Buy a Full synthenic oil (5 quarts of 0W-20 Mobil 1 at Walmart for 25 bucks)
2. Buy a 8 mm hex key socket for removing the oil plug and putting it back on (5 bucks at auto store)
3. Buy a 65/67 mm 14 flute cap wrench for removing the oil filter (5 bucks at auto store)
4. Most important step.. buy the OEM Mazda oil filter!! ($7.75 at the dealership parts stpre) and read the directions carefully on the box on how to put the filter back on properly.
5. I forgot one more thing, get a phillips head screwdriver to remove the access cover for the oil plug and filter, just unscrew it, and slide it back to take it off.

I got lucky that I had a coupon that charges me 40 bucks for synethic oil change, oil filter change, tire rotation, top off all fluids, and visual inspection check. Haha, I had to drive an hour to get my car serviced, but it's worth it though. The salesperson was trying to make to test drive the 2013 White Mazdaspeed3 with the technology package, it was so tempting to drive it, but I said no.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not sure why it was so difficult to pull. I managed to change my oil by removing the filter by hand and had it all done in about 15-20 minutes. They shouldn't be on there that tight unless a jiffy lube does it.

First time dealing with newer cars and these tiny holes but still easier than bringing it to the dealer and waiting. Hardest part was finding the oil. Bought 4 mazda filters from the dealer up front so should be set in the future.

I will try and do a writeup with pictures in about a month or two when she is up for another.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
i get free oil changes :D but the dealer is 30 miles away. 60 miles for an oil change? Naaah. Maybe if its cold as shit out and I really dont want to do it. Or if I'm up that way for some reason.

·
Registered
104 Posts
u
Hey Guys, I think this thread is appropriate for showing how to change the oil on Skyactiv engine. Why the hell Mazda designed a very small hole to access the oil plug and the filter which I can't put my hands to unscrew the filter out?? It makes the oil, and oil filter change on my old Mazda Mx3 looks so easy despite the filter is way up above the front wheel axle. After a hour of trying to take the filter out, I gave up and left it there (it's a Fram En tended Guard filter XG6607). It is not worth it at all to do it at my own.
But, I can show you the correct tools for do it right.
1. Buy a Full synthenic oil (5 quarts of 0W-20 Mobil 1 at Walmart for 25 bucks)
2. Buy a 8 mm hex key socket for removing the oil plug and putting it back on (5 bucks at auto store)
3. Buy a 65/67 mm 14 flute cap wrench for removing the oil filter (5 bucks at auto store)
4. Most important step.. buy the OEM Mazda oil filter!! ($7.75 at the dealership parts stpre) and read the directions carefully on the box on how to put the filter back on properly.
5. I forgot one more thing, get a phillips head screwdriver to remove the access cover for the oil plug and filter, just unscrew it, and slide it back to take it off.

I got lucky that I had a coupon that charges me 40 bucks for synethic oil change, oil filter change, tire rotation, top off all fluids, and visual inspection check. Haha, I had to drive an hour to get my car serviced, but it's worth it though. The salesperson was trying to make to test drive the 2013 White Mazdaspeed3 with the technology package, it was so tempting to drive it, but I said no.
I had no issues using the Purolator or Fram extended guard(only cause the Purolator was out of stock) filters on my skyactiv. Both are sold at Walmart. I did buy the cap wrench but have yet found a needed to use it. All my filters have been hand on and off.

Reactions: madmark023

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've changed the oil on my skyactiv twice so far and the small opening isn't really that big of a deal. I think doing it yourself is worth the 30 min or so that it takes, just for peace of mind that it's done right. I haven't had any trouble unscrewing the oil filter.

The only thing I have trouble with is moving my hand out of the way quickly enough when unscrewing the drain plug, so I usually end up spilling a bit of oil (this isn't really a problem since I change the oil in a high school parking lot).

Another thing to add to your list is ramps. I have metal ramps (similar to the ones below) that I drive my car up onto. This gives me a lot of space beneath the car the maneuver around and makes doing anything underneath my car really easy.
2 Piece Solid Steel Auto Ramp Set

Reactions: madmark023

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure why it was so difficult to pull. I managed to change my oil by removing the filter by hand and had it all done in about 15-20 minutes. They shouldn't be on there that tight unless a jiffy lube does it.

First time dealing with newer cars and these tiny holes but still easier than bringing it to the dealer and waiting. Hardest part was finding the oil. Bought 4 mazda filters from the dealer up front so should be set in the future.

I will try and do a writeup with pictures in about a month or two when she is up for another.
I've probably over tightened the FRAM oil filter when I did the first oil change, probably way too much I guess. Now, that I think about it, I think the cap oil filter wrench is the best way to remove the OEM oil filter. What is the proper way to tighten the oil filter? Is it easier to take the oil filter out first and then remove the drain plug?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The filter fit as well as the oem filter, I put it on Saturday.the reason I asked was because I didn't know if you knew of internal issues in aftermarket filters that made them not work well with the skyactiv.I just asked because you were insistent on the OEM filer
No, there wasn't any internal issue with the filter, it was my fault probably by overtighening the FRAM filter. Well, the only issue I can see is the thickness of the rubber seal which FRAM has thicker seal than the OEM filter which may be more likely to stick to the filter port.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've probably over tightened the FRAM oil filter when I did the first oil change, probably way too much I guess. Now, that I think about it, I think the cap oil filter wrench is the best way to remove the OEM oil filter. What is the proper way to tighten the oil filter? Is it easier to take the oil filter out first and then remove the drain plug?
What I do is put a bit of oil on my finger and spread it on seal of the new filter before I put it on (I know it's already lubricated a little, but more won't hurt). I then screw the the filter on with my hand lightly until it's fairly tight. Not really sure how to describe how tight I screw it in, but definitely not using full strength when doing so. If you don't screw it on too tightly in the first place, you shouldn't have any trouble unscrewing the filter when you're changing your oil (using the cap wrench).

Another thing I forgot to mention is that before draining the old oil, I unscrew and take off the oil cap under the hood and loosen the dipstick.

Reactions: howardvu

·
Registered
104 Posts
What I do is put a bit of oil on my finger and spread it on seal of the new filter before I put it on (I know it's already lubricated a little, but more won't hurt). I then screw the the filter on with my hand lightly until it's fairly tight. Not really sure how to describe how tight I screw it in, but definitely not using full strength when doing so. If you don't screw it on too tightly in the first place, you shouldn't have any trouble unscrewing the filter when you're changing your oil (using the cap wrench).

Another thing I forgot to mention is that before draining the old oil, I unscrew and take off the oil cap under the hood and loosen the dipstick.
That's great advice to remember to oil up the new gasket for the filter. I was also taught to prefill the filter with oil if possible (which it is in our cars).

·
Registered
86 Posts
My OEM filter said to go full turn after gasket hits.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wow 0W20 for 25 bucks thats really cheap price for Mobil 1
Up here in Canada at walmart Mobil 1 is 49 and change plus taxes for 5 liters of 0W20
But the good thing is that the Mazda Dealership offers oil change for my car at 41.00<
so i guess I won't be changing my own oil

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.