2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

How to change HID light bulbs for xenon fusion D4S lamps

10K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  RalphVa 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been searching high and low over the entire web for a how-to guide or a youtube video but to no avail! The only guides I have come across for our 3rd generation Mazda 3 are for halogen lamps, but nothing for (stock) xenon HID lamps!!

Are there any kind souls here who are able to help? I need to know how to access the bulbs, and the proper technique (if any? Are there locking pins, or is it just a matter of twisting the housing to free the bulb?) to change my bulbs (2015 Mazda 3). THANK YOU SO MUCH!

#2 ·
access the bulbs from the wheel well a la bmw m3. turn wheel right when doing left and vice versa. i've just switched my to untinon xtreme i bought while on holiday in japan.

what you need to do:

1)is to remove the locking pins for the wheel well plastic, 3 on the side should be enough.
2)reach through the hole and twist the circle cap.
3) try and fiddle for two pins that support the bulb. iirc, one left and one right and they flip upwards.
4) pull bulb out
5) reverse the steps.

it may be easier to keep the bonnet open to look and memorise where the stuff are. i'm not sure if LHD and RHD engine bay are the same layout but the right side has more space to access the bulbs due to the space. as there is the air intake on the left side.

#3 ·
Hi there, thanks for replying!

I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that I managed to free the damn bulbs from the housing, but the bad news is that I cannot put it back... I can't see a thing without removing the headlight unit and hence I cannot clip the two pins that support the bulb back into position. Any advice?
Thanks!

#6 ·
Help hid factory bulb

Ok I got a set of Philips 6000k bulbs to replace factory hid bulbs. I got the tire off wheel well open cap off . But there is a silver cap coving the bulb does that twist off then the bulb comes out . I move it back and for but was scared I was going to break something, how does the silver cover come off. Thanks

#8 ·
Guess you got no help. I had the same experience in searching for how to replace HID bulbs. Seems you can replace halogen (and maybe LED) ones from underneath the hood. One on the left side requires lifting of the air cleaner top part to get at it. Of course, this is for halogen (and maybe LED).

The HID bulbs seem to have a little metal box between the bulb and the wire clipin. I've seen this under the hood and on some web sites showing the bulb assembly. This thing appears accessible from under the hood.

Strange that you're having to replace after only about a year. The wife's is now going after 4 years and use every morning when she goes to the gym and now every time coming back in the winter, 20 to 40 minutes/day for 6 days/wk. Bulbs are supposed to be good for 2,000 hours. That would put it at 7 years or more before they burn out.

I'm just looking into it because of damage to the front and maybe just replace the DRLs and marker lights with LEDs. However, wondering if the DRL is just low beam HID?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.