2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I got a bit prepared to change the stock Bi-Xenon bulbs in my car for the OSRAM XENARC COOL BLUE INTENSE D4S HID, 66440CBI-HCB. Mostly the videos I watched were for Mazda's 3 with Halogen Bulbs so I thought it would be a similar process. But, what i thought would be a breeze got so complicated and I was not able to change them myself.

I looked eveywhere but I was not able to find a concrete solution. Therefore can someone clarify the two following questions:

1- How can I get the bulb cap out of my way pointed by the Red Arrow? Tried twisting it counter and clockwise and nothing happened.

2- What is the connector pointed by the Yellow arrow? In the beginning I thought that was the D4S Xenon Bulb compartment and I tried to disconnect that part, wiggled it and forced it a bit but could not take it off lol, I put it back and I hope I didnt mess nothing, so just wonderng what that is.

Finally the manual states not to do it myself, but since so many members have switched there headlights by themselves I would like to know how do it myself. The second picture provided is the actual picture of my headlights.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
You only need to take the cap out, in the red arrow. Might be a bit tight the first time but just twist it harder and it should come right out. I went through the wheel well when I changed mine and did it mostly through feeling around since it's kinda hard to look in. Once you have the cap off you need to unclip the bulb and slowly take bulb out. Again, I did everything mostly by feel bit it wasn't hard to do. Just make sure when you put new bulb in that it's properly seated before putting clip back on. First time I did it the bulb was sitting a bit off so that messed up the light output.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, once you take it off it is hard o put it back, every time I'm trying to pull the clips up the bulb gets out of place. I honestly gave up in order to avoid any damage to the headlight and bulb, I will go to the dealership this week, meanwhile I'm driving only with 1 one light lol.

P.S: The stock Bi-Xenon bulb to my surprise is also OSRAM

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
It was a bit tricky clipping it back into place. I managed to clip the bulb in place by feel, just one handed. I used one finger to hold the bulb in place while I used my thumb to work the clip in place. Honestly, take your time doing it and you'll get it. Not worth going to the dealership.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @lowincash, I'll give it a try tomorrow morning when there is light! I just hope I don't / didn't mess anything up, I'm already worried about the cabling, saw a couple of scratches inside the inner housing, and honestly I don't know if I bent the clips too :(, maybe that is why they don't fall into place.

This definitely is the hardest upgrade I've done yet. From being a perfect, untouched virgin headlight to a "raped" and dirty one lol.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@lowincash , So when I put the bulb inside the housing and finally put into place the two metal clips I feel the bulb is very loose and not tight, am I doing something wrong here? This is prior to putting the power socket, even with the power socket connected the bulb moves a lot :(

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
@lowincash , So when I put the bulb inside the housing and finally put into place the two metal clips I feel the bulb is very loose and not tight, am I doing something wrong here? This is prior to putting the power socket, even with the power socket connected the bulb moves a lot :(
I had that happened to me once too after I noticed the light output was bad, that's when I noticed the bulb was loose. I think you clipped the bulb while it was not properly seated. It was kind of a pain trying to unclip it since I can't fit both hands in there, you just be careful when unclipping it since the bulb is loose. When you have the bulb seated in the headlight, try not to let the metal wire touch the bulb when you put the clip back on. That might have moved the bulb from its place if you weren't holding it tightly in the first place.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate your help! You are saving my ass from total demise lol, for now I'll leave it like this, tomorrow morning definitely shall revisit this issue again! Once again thanks a lot! :)

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@lowincash, Thanks for your help, good news and bad news!

The good: I'm a pro at removing and installing the bulbs!
The bad: I broke the blue filament of the OSRAM CBI :(

Now I'm waiting for a replacement of the bulb which should take 3-5 business days. Also I'm wondering if the tiny blue filament felt inside the housing lol, which irritates me a bit.

For now I re-installed the stock Bi-Xenon bulb which was easier since I invested and learned the hard way in this project. I also don't know if the auto leveling and AFS system are working properly too lol.

Does the AFS calibration and system work only at night? I turned on the headlights on daylight, moved the wheel left and right with the help of my wife and I didn't see the projectors were moving... Once again thanks for your time and input!

·
Working Class Hero
3,626 Posts
AFS calibration works every time you turn the headlights on, however turning the wheel while the car is parked will not move the projectors. That's the case with mine.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@GerryB, Thanks for your expertise ! I indeed notice earlier what you mentioned above, when putting the bulb back I positioned the projector very far to the right, when turning the headlights on, the position was re-calibrated, so it is safe to assume that if the infotainment or instrument panel don't tell me there is a problem, all the technologies of the headlight are working properly, correct ?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
@GerryB, I just test drove right now at night and to my great demise and lack of technical ability to switch the bulb in the beginning it looks like I fu**ed up big time.

I found out that the headlight output on the passenger side is awful, I'm not sure if it re-calibrated itself or not when I switched the ignition on. The first time I turn on the car the I saw the bulb moving but perhaps it was only the drivers side. When I drive I see an intense straight arrow of light in front of me. What can I do to solve this problem? Do Xenon-Bulb aiming need to be recalibrate by computer. Here are a couple of pictures.

P.S: When I put the bulb back into the housing the filament was facing down, is this maybe the cause of the problem?
P.S2: Sorry for the bad picture quality, I have problems with my phone camera.

If anyone else can help me out thanks, I'm pretty sure I'm taking my car to the dealership now :(

Attachments

·
Working Class Hero
3,626 Posts
From the pics it looks like the right beam is aimed at the ground, but it's hard to tell for sure without shining at a wall or something similar.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Looks like the bulbs are not seated properly. That's what happened to mine the first time I swapped bulbs, just not as bad lol But yeah, try to reposition the bulb and make sure it's seated properly before putting the clip on.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'll try again, I'm just afraid that I might have screwed the motors for the auto calibration and auto-leveling :crying2:, I inserted the bulb with the filament facing downwards, perhaps it was upwards :|

Update! The bulb can only enter the housing while the blue filament is facing downwards, the exact same position in which I put it back the first time. The result is the same and now on the process of doing so the OEM bulb filament is broken as well :(

I really gave up on this one, not an easy task for me for what others consider easy. I was being hard on myself but sometimes is OK to ask for the help of people, is OK to make mistakes. I would say that I'm technically gifted but after 2 damaged bulbs I will go to the dealership so they can fix this for me. Now I have no clue if I damaged the headlight unit, rotating motors or inner housing.

I appreciate everyone's help on this matter.

May G-d Bless you all! :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey David,
Did you get your headlights bulbs installed and working, if so how's the light output to the Oem ones, thinking about doing this mod the Oem xenon look to yellow, I put a hid 6000k kit in my wife Mazda 3 they are a lot brighter.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey David,
Did you get your headlights bulbs installed and working, if so how's the light output to the Oem ones, thinking about doing this mod the Oem xenon look to yellow, I put a hid 6000k kit in my wife Mazda 3 they are a lot brighter.
Yes in the end everything worked out! The output is definitely better than stock! I compared the stock bulb with the CBI's and there is a noticeable difference.

Although, to be honest, the final result is not what I thought it would be, they are whiter indeed, but they are not as white/blueish and bright as LED headlights in other vehicles...

1 - 19 of 21 Posts