2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, being fairly new to the forums but not new to fabrication or trying new things out I figured I'd help out us guys who want an oil catch can but don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it. Start with these parts!

For full pictures check here: 2010 MAZDASPEED 3 OCC pictures by amello7580 - Photobucket

Start by cutting a piece of PVC to a size you like, mine was cut to just under 8 inches. Volume for this with the 2" pvc pipe makes it just under .5 liters. I will be running 2. One for my pcv and one for the valve cover.
One of the caps will have the the 3/4" to 1/2" reducer elbows the other will have the drain.

Start by drilling the cap for the elbow. I used a step drill bit which I believe i used it up to 13/16".

At this point I was only checking the fit, dont permanently install it yet. You will be soldering and working with the fitting before installing it.

The inside of the fitting needs to be drilled to fit the 1/2" copper pipe.

Then solder it or use jb weld or whatever you prefer.

Let the piece cool and then take a tubing cutter and etch some lines on the pipe equally spaced and about an inch from the solder point.

Seal the opposite end with jb weld.. a 1/2" cap would be preferred but home depot was out of stock.. weird.
2010 MAZDASPEED 3 OCC :: 2011-11-16_16-37-04_560.jpg picture by amello7580 - Photobucket

Once the jb weld sets and hardens commence the drilling. I used an automatic center punch and a 1/16" drill bit but if you think you will need the extra flow (running big power-> more blowby) you can run a 1/8" bit.

From there you can add the window screen mesh. I chose fiberglass mesh because it's easy to work with and surprisingly chemical resistant and durable in this application.

This is actually the correct length you should use. The picture was taken before I drilled the pipe. The first drill hole was actually 1/4" below the beginning to the mesh.
Then wrap the pipe with the mesh.

I used some "super" electrical tape from radioshack to wrap the ends. Once again, chemical resistant. Use some zip ties or something too as backup.. Just make sure that the Outer diameter of the mesh and tape doesn't exceed 3/4" so you can fit it through the hole in the pvc cap.

PVC cement in the caps and drill another 13/16" hole into the cap. Insert the straight nipple in there and you just need to finish the assembly.

I plan on using some pex piping painted black and clamps for my setup to give it a nice look and excellent performance. From here on out you are on your own from how you route or which kind of hose you want to use.
Once my install is done I will show some pics and give a weekly drain sample pic. The mesh wrapped around the copper piping changes the direction of gas flow and helps catch the oil and water vapor and allows it to run down the mesh and into the can. Hope this helps someone. I also plan on painting the cans black..

IMPORTANT!
Drill the holes so that they dont vent straight toward the outlet. makes sense right?

Ninja out :shuriken:

Reactions: RedTape

·
Parts test dummy
827 Posts
As an added note, you could fill the empty space with steel wool or something else of that type to further increase the performance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed with the steel wool. That really coarse stuff will help collect more oil and it doesn't displace that much of the volume. I figure if I don't see much oil and water when I do the first drain of the system I will add the steel wool as well to see if it will collect any more goodies. I hope this helps some people out. Honestly a catch can or twin catch can setup should be everyone's first mod just because of the nature if this car. You want to keep your intake valves as clean as possible and with a di engine the only real method is to add the catch cans and do an egr blockoff or restrict it to 1/8" hole (avoid the p401 without the access port)

·
Parts test dummy
827 Posts
I plan on doing the dual cans as soon as CorkSport releases their can that they have hinted at awhile ago.

·
Registered
713 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Been reading the service manual... Apparently there is something called "Catch Tank" within the emission system... read it further... unfortunately, it's for managing unused fuel, not oily mist...

1 - ventilation hose
2 - catch tank
3 - purge solenoid valve
4 - pcv valve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.