2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, so since my 2018 Touring Hatch has been under the regular warranty and now just the powertrain warranty, I still choose to get it serviced at the local dealership. The past 3 times I've gone, the service advisor lets me know that there's an active "oil seep" at one of the gaskets with pictures and the technician on a video saying that I should monitor it.

I asked, "If it's a known problem, not just residual oil or dirt, and has been confirmed these past 3 times, then why can't I get it fixed under warranty?" The advisor said that they can't get a warranty claim from Mazda unless they can actually confirm that it drips off of the engine and onto other parts. I asked if there's anything preventative that I can do to keep it from growing into a leak, and she said that since it's not causing a drivability issue, to just keep checking back before the warranty is up.

The problem is, I'm at 54k miles now and am about to lose the warranty, so I opted into their little oil conditioner program that comes with a warranty extension for 10 bucks at each service, but I don't have much hope for that saving me post-warranty. I'm wondering what I should do, I don't want a good leak to start right as I leave the warranty period.

·
Super Moderator
5,200 Posts
If its leaking it leaking. Its not going to go away and it will get worse. Its a issue that should be covered by the warranty. The service advisor doesn't get to make warranty decisions like this. The problem should have been forwarded to MNAO and reviewed by the techs there for a decision. Get and retain documentation that the dealer is aware of this and refused to do the warranty repairs. Tell them to fix it before the warranty expires. If they don't call Mazda Corporate and complain.
I'd also talk to Mazda Corporate about this "oil conditioner" program...whatever that is..... Mazda does not condone such practices, and using additives might void the warranty depending on what this dealer is putting in your oil. Perhaps thats why the service advisor is not pushing the warranty work.....

·
Registered
113 Posts
How about supplying pics and maybe the video so we have some idea exactly what you're talking about?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Potentially stupid question but should I just try and head to another dealership? To see if they'll elevate the issue?

·
Super Moderator
5,200 Posts
Video doesn't show much, just oil on the bottom of the pan. Its coming from somewhere, where isn't made clear at all and it doesn't appear any effort was made to locate the source. Could be a minor issue like the pan seal, could be from the head gasket, could be a lot of things. In any case its leaking oil, and its a defect that should be a warranty item and repaired as such before it escalates into some more.
Another dealer may or may not do anything. Best bet is to contact MNAO yourself, explain the problem and tell them what this dealer is doing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I think I'll do that. What would you say is the best recommended method of contacting them?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, sorry, I know lol, I was just asking to see if you had a method you recommended above the others. I'll just call

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just got off the phone with corporate, and the customer service rep said that it's already been noted in my file as a concern, and that should the seep become worse, they'll work with the dealership to handle the issue.

He also told me that they'll be willing to work with me "even a bit out of the warranty period, like 65 maybe 70k miles", and that I should get the concern from the dealership in a clear documented form. But they said they wouldn't do a thing about it at this time. :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
2018 and it is getting recommended for a brake fluid flush? Seriously? Hmmm... That video is exactly why I do all of my own maintenance. Scary.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
2018 and it is getting recommended for a brake fluid flush? Seriously? Hmmm... That video is exactly why I do all of my own maintenance. Scary.
Brake fluid is hygrospic. Ideally flushed every coupla years or so.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Hi everyone, so since my 2018 Touring Hatch has been under the regular warranty and now just the powertrain warranty, I still choose to get it serviced at the local dealership. The past 3 times I've gone, the service advisor lets me know that there's an active "oil seep" at one of the gaskets with pictures and the technician on a video saying that I should monitor it.

I asked, "If it's a known problem, not just residual oil or dirt, and has been confirmed these past 3 times, then why can't I get it fixed under warranty?" The advisor said that they can't get a warranty claim from Mazda unless they can actually confirm that it drips off of the engine and onto other parts. I asked if there's anything preventative that I can do to keep it from growing into a leak, and she said that since it's not causing a drivability issue, to just keep checking back before the warranty is up.

The problem is, I'm at 54k miles now and am about to lose the warranty, so I opted into their little oil conditioner program that comes with a warranty extension for 10 bucks at each service, but I don't have much hope for that saving me post-warranty. I'm wondering what I should do, I don't want a good leak to start right as I leave the warranty period.
However they downplay that leak by calling it a 'seep', some seal has failed somewhere. Looks minor, but they still have to address that w/o beating 'round bushes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Small update

I received an automated "How was your service?" followup email from the service manager, and it specifically said "Customer satisfaction is our number 1 priority!" Lol, So I let them have it in a polite but strongly worded email.

I got a call yesterday from the service advisor saying she went over it with the manager, and they now agree that it's frustrating and something that they should handle under warranty. So I'm going in next week to get it fixed. Hopefully they fix it and don't just wipe it clean lol.

As for the brake flush, it's been spongey for a year and I don't really have a place to work on my car, so i just decided to go through with it with them. I'd like to do more than basic maintenance but if I'm out there for too long I'll get a fine lol. Gotta keep those property values high!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I live as far south in the US as possible.... two years for brake fluid is too soon. 4 years, I can see.... 2 years... no. Sorry. And I do understand that water makes its way into the system. Brake "sponginess" is not the result of "old" brake fluid. At the local Jeep dealer, a "brake fluid evacuation" service is $299. I bet they do a happy dance every time they get one of those sales.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah $100 is not exactly cheap, but it's improved brake feel immensely, from spongy to not spongy lol. Mazda's own recommended service manual says inspect/replace as necessary every 15k miles for my driving conditions, Hot, dry, and frequent braking. The manuals of my other cars have said to replace brake fluid every 2 years or 35-45k miles, so I feel like it's pretty normal?

·
Super Moderator
5,200 Posts
I live as far south in the US as possible.... two years for brake fluid is too soon. 4 years, I can see.... 2 years... no. Sorry. And I do understand that water makes its way into the system. Brake "sponginess" is not the result of "old" brake fluid. At the local Jeep dealer, a "brake fluid evacuation" service is $299. I bet they do a happy dance every time they get one of those sales.
There is no time limit. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, that means it can readily absorb the moisture content out of the air. If there is a lot of humidity all the time, you may need to change the fluid yearly. It needs to be done when the fluid is contaminated past a certain point, not on a schedule based on years. Brake fluid thats old is almost always contaminated with moisture, and sponginess is a result of old brake fluid thats contaminated with moisture. When you apply the brakes, the calipers and pistons get hot. This heat gets transferred to the fluid. When the fluid gets hot, any moisture in the system will vaporize. This vaporized water is now a compressible gas, and this gas in the brake system is what causes the brakes to be spongy.
There are easy ways to test for this. Fluid testers are cheap, and you can use a standard DVOM to test the fluid also.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update. So after looking at it they brought me in under the lift to talk it over. Pointing to the oil pan they tell me that it's "going to do more harm than good to take this apart when we're not even sure if it's still leaking."
I asked them, "Why did you guys tell me consistently that it's an active seep if you're not sure if oil is still coming out?" They said that it's probably been acknowledged as active by each tech who's looked at it, because I've asked about it each time since the first time. They told me that "There's no record of anyone cleaning it up or anything, so it's probably always looked like that." I jokingly asked if that means that the oil must've sealed itself off since the first seep, and they said "We're not sure." lol

I was a little frustrated at learning that but I guess I can understand. They offered to actually clean it this time, and put dye in the oil, to prove if it's actively "seeping" after 5k more miles. To me this seems like they'd have a hard time getting this warranty work approved by Mazda, so they're putting it off until it's much more visible. They did say though with how heavily documented this issue is now, they'll work with me well past my warranty, so I guess that's fine. We'll just wait and see if it is actually an active "seep", I guess.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Update. So after looking at it they brought me in under the lift to talk it over. Pointing to the oil pan they tell me that it's "going to do more harm than good to take this apart when we're not even sure if it's still leaking."
I asked them, "Why did you guys tell me consistently that it's an active seep if you're not sure if oil is still coming out?" They said that it's probably been acknowledged as active by each tech who's looked at it, because I've asked about it each time since the first time. They told me that "There's no record of anyone cleaning it up or anything, so it's probably always looked like that." I jokingly asked if that means that the oil must've sealed itself off since the first seep, and they said "We're not sure." lol

I was a little frustrated at learning that but I guess I can understand. They offered to actually clean it this time, and put dye in the oil, to prove if it's actively "seeping" after 5k more miles. To me this seems like they'd have a hard time getting this warranty work approved by Mazda, so they're putting it off until it's much more visible. They did say though with how heavily documented this issue is now, they'll work with me well past my warranty, so I guess that's fine. We'll just wait and see if it is actually an active "seep", I guess.
Bright side...best to be sure it's leaking & know where it's coming from....before the actual fix.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bright side...best to be sure it's leaking & know where it's coming from....before the actual fix.

Very true, I feel partially to blame by not just cleaning and confirming for myself, but my paranoia about voiding the warranty and making sure that the dealer is held responsible for any work/service done until it's done keeps me from touching my powertrain lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts