2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's a pretty good bet that the only hardware you need is the steering wheel switch for cruise control. OTOH it might also require a software upgrade. If you can add the switch for a reasonable price, do it and report back.

In other news, you can add remote start to some new Hondas with keyless entry simply by adding a 5 button remote start fob. A lot of features in modern cars are software-based and can be added cheaply if you have access to the software.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You will need to find a steering wheel with the buttons on it.

This can be found in your local salvage yard. If you do find a steering wheel in a salvage yard not only will you get the cruise control buttons but you will get the volume control button and a few others that may work directly in your car.

To add the buttons you will have to either replace your steering wheel with the one from the salvage yard or install the buttons on your steering wheel. Either options will have you removing your airbag from the steering wheel.

Once the buttons are on and plugged into your clock spring your will need to find a mazda service that will activate the cruise control in the cars computer.

I have done this to my 2012 and all is still well.

Mazda does not have any official parts or procedures to install the full system in a car that does not have it installed. However a mazda service tech should be able to activate cruise control if you have the parts installed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

This can be found in your local salvage yard. If you do find a steering wheel in a salvage yard not only will you get the cruise control buttons but you will get the volume control button and a few others that may work directly in your car.

To add the buttons you will have to either replace your steering wheel with the one from the salvage yard or install the buttons on your steering wheel. Either options will have you removing your airbag from the steering wheel.

Once the buttons are on and plugged into your clock spring your will need to find a mazda service that will activate the cruise control in the cars computer.

Mazda does not have any official parts or procedures to install the full system in a car that does not have it installed. However a mazda service tech should be able to activate cruise control if you have the parts installed.

Thank you! I have the volume buttons already and found cruise buttons on ebay, not sure about salvage yard tho Mazda’s aren’t really popular up in Northern Mi, but this sounds easier than what others have told me, now just to find a dealer that can wire it lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
There is no standard protocol or kits to do the cruise install.

A dealership probably won't want to do the wiring if your buttons did not come with the harness.

Good luck with your efforts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts