2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This How-To is for the Mazda OCD Community that would like to Install a Dashcam for their Brand New Mazda but do NOT want to cut ANY wires but would like to Hardwire their Dashcam. This How-To is for YOU! Here is everything you will need. Enjoy!!!

Benefits: Hardwiring the Dashcam with this method will allow the Dashcam to activate once you turn on the car. It also allows for valet mode which allows your car to record while parked! Don't worry the Dashcam will go into Power Savings Mode if the Battery is Low!

Product:
1. Thinkware U1000 Dual Dashcam - Thinkware U1000 4K Dual Lens Dashcam for Front + Rear Recording
2. Thinkware OBD-II Power Cable (MUST BUY) - OBD-II Power Cable For Thinkware Dash Cams

You MUST BUY This!!!

Tools Needed:
1. Tesa Tape - https://tinyurl.com/52p3wn59
2. Alcohol
3. Scissor
4. Zip Ties

Steps to Install:

1. First thing you need to do is Connect the Thinkware OBD-II Power Cable to the Factory Harness located in the Drivers Side Kick Panel. The White is the OEM OBD-II Connector.

2. Connect the Male Thinkware OBD-II Power Cable (Black) to the Female OEM OBD-II. (White)

3. (OCD Edition!) Here is where I apply Tesa Tape to secure a better Connection and to make it look OEM

4. Now Plug the Female end of the Thinkware OBD-II Power Connector back onto the OEM OBD-II Connector in the Kickpanel. This took me forever!!! There is NOT much room in all that cable in the Steering Column. Just be patient and you will get it!

5. Now the Hard Part is Done! The rest is just Plug and Play!!! NO Wires Cut!

6. Here is the Camera with ALL the packaging: Please NOTE the Sandisk 400GB Micro SD IS Compatible with this Unit! Although Thinkware states that it is NOT recommended. They want you to spend over $200 for their SD Memory Cards!

7. First thing is to Remove the Side Moldings from the Drivers Side and start Tucking the Wire from the Thinkware OBD-II Power Connector

Bottom Kick Panel

Top Headliner

8. Locate where you want to Attach the Thinkware U1000 Dashcam. Make sure the Wire is Long Enough!

9. Now run the Rear View Wire in the Box to the Rear Camera!

This is a LONG Cable. You will have Plenty! (Continue Below for Part 2!)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
This is Part 2! This How-To is going to be Long!!!

10. Run the Rear Dashcam Wire to the Back of the Car.

Tuck it all in make sure it is Nice and Tiddy!

Run the Wire to the Rear Back Panel which is held by a Clip!

11. Now make sure you have enough Wire to feed this through the Factory Harness. (OCD Edition 2!)

12. Stuff the End of the Cable through the Rubber Grommet. This Took me FOREVER!!! I wanted to cry! Know that the Cable to the Rear Dashcam has a 90 Degree Bend. You can choose to use that 90 Degree or the Straight End. It is up to You. I used a Chopstick to fish it through! Make sure to Tape the End so you don't Cut any of the Wires inside!

13. This is how it will look when Success!!! Now grab the Tessa Tape and Tape that too!!!

14. Professional! All nice and Tiddy!!!

15. Now find the CenterPoint of your Window and Attach the Camera! The Mazda is 32" Wide so I placed it about 17" in the Middle! Make sure to use the Alcohol to remove any oil Residue before sticking! Stuck that in Tight too! Use the Clips that came with the Package to secure the Wire to the Glass!

16. Now put everything back! Wipe everything down! Go to the Main Camera and attach that to the Front Windshield. Make sure to Wipe that down with Alcohol before sticking!

That's It!!! NO Cutting of ANY Wires and everything looks Professionally Installed!!!

Here is what it looks like underneath the Steering Column of my Car. I Tesa taped and Zip Tied EVERYTHING!!!

Now Enjoy your Daily Drives with the assurance that you are capturing EVERYTHING!!!

This is me Celebrating after a big job like this!!! Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Really nicely done! I have a very similar setup for my Mikstore cam running from OBD, only minus the rear cam.

What's that track, btw? Really like it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really nicely done! I have a very similar setup for my Mikstore cam running from OBD, only minus the rear cam.

What's that track, btw? Really like it.
Thank you! I love it because you do NOT need to cut any wires and it is so simple and clean! The Track is Zero Two!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey, I'm picking up my 2021 mazda3 turbo in a few days, I was wondering how'd you get your screen to show that video? Also is that a supra I see in your garage?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, I'm picking up my 2021 mazda3 turbo in a few days, I was wondering how'd you get your screen to show that video? Also is that a supra I see in your garage?
Congrats on your New 2021 Mazda3 Turbo! You are going to Love it! It is the best platform IMO.

To get the Video on the Infotainment System is easy. The New Mazda3 supports MP4. So just download the Videos in MP4, save it onto the root folder of the USB Jumpdrive. In the Source Input of your Infotainment look for USB Video File. Search the Folder and that is it! Only downside is that you can Only Play Video when parked. I am looking for a Mod to be able to Play while driving. The Quality is SO Good.

Regarding the Supra. Yes you have a good eye lol. Here are a couple more pix I took that day! Enjoy!

Group Pix

Pix with my Best Friend!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Man, thanks! I'm gonna try that out. Nice cars. I'm gonna be getting a full front ppf for the mazda3 still debating if I should get the gloss black or clear for the hood. Anymore tips for the car?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man, thanks! I'm gonna try that out. Nice cars. I'm gonna be getting a full front ppf for the mazda3 still debating if I should get the gloss black or clear for the hood. Anymore tips for the car?
IMO I would go with Clear for Hood. If you want to Gloss Black I would recommend Gloss Black for Roof and Gloss Black the Trim. Try to find a shop that carries Inozetek Vinyl. It might be a bit more expensive but the Vinyl will look very close to factory. Here is what the results will look like.

Roof Wrap:

Window Trim Delete:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks man, I was leaning to the clear bc if I get sick of the body color I can always vinyl over it but won't be able to do that vice versa. I'm gonna try to do the trim delete diy. Car looks great btw

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm okay with properly tapping into wires, but your information on the PAC module and how to route the wiring is super helpful. Thank you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts