2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I can do whatever I want using the reverse light, turn signal and brake light.

Right now I have it wired so that

Turn signal by itself: Turn + brake flash
Turn + city lights: turn flashes on-off, brake goes low-high
brake: brake stays high, turn flashes on-off
brake + city lights + turn: brake stays high, turn signal goes low-high

I would refer to this setup as

Brake - Turn + brake + city
Turn - Turn

Heres a video of what it looks like now, only I have OEM led taillights now

Sep 29, 2012 6:17am | Facebook

I want to eliminate the original reverse, and replace it with a red LED bulb as well. Here are the possibilities

Turn - Turn + city
Reverse - Turn + city

Brake - Brake + city
Turn - Turn + city
Reverse - Turn + city

Turn - Turn + city
Reverse - Turn + brake + city

Brake - Brake + city
Turn - Turn + city

There are a lot of possibilities, but what would look best / be least confusing?

Right now I think my preference would be

Brake - Brake + city
Turn - Turn + city
Reverse - Turn + city

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok so I can do whatever I want using the reverse light, turn signal and brake light.

Right now I have it wired so that

Turn signal by itself: Turn + brake flash
Turn + city lights: turn flashes on-off, brake goes low-high
brake: brake stays high, turn flashes on-off
brake + city lights + turn: brake stays high, turn signal goes low-high

I would refer to this setup as

Turn - Turn

Heres a video of what it looks like now, only I have OEM led taillights now

Sep 29, 2012 6:17am | Facebook

I want to eliminate the original reverse, and replace it with a red LED bulb as well. Here are the possibilities

Turn - Turn + city
Reverse - Turn + city

Brake - Brake + city
Turn - Turn + city
Reverse - Turn + city

Turn - Turn + city

Brake - Brake + city
Turn - Turn + city

There are a lot of possibilities, but what would look best / be least confusing?

Right now I think my preference would be

Brake - Brake + city
Turn - Turn + city
Reverse - Turn + city
It's all personal preference. I'd have to see each one to decide, personally.

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sometimes having too much choice is a bad thing, fml. I just want whatever I choose to not be confusing whatsoever.

·
Registered
34 Posts
sometimes having too much choice is a bad thing, fml. I just want whatever I choose to not be confusing whatsoever.
lol. I'm a freaking Nuke and I think what you posted was confusing haha. How'd you do the city lights? Just drill a hole in the high beam reflector?

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is all in the taillights lol

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is somewhat confusing, I was hoping the video would clarify what I meant by everything.

By city lights, I mean essentially what your brake light look like when you turn your lights on but are not braking. I think it would be cool if the entire taillight was that dim red, rather than just the outside. Then its just a matter of when I want them to light up bright.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It is somewhat confusing, I was hoping the video would clarify what I meant by everything.

By city lights, I mean essentially what your brake light look like when you turn your lights on but are not braking. I think it would be cool if the entire taillight was that dim red, rather than just the outside. Then its just a matter of when I want them to light up bright.
SO you mean when the turn signal is ON and you ARE braking, the side in which you're turning doesn't light up fully. Kinda like how Audi's DRLs turn off or dim when the turn signal is activated?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oh I didn't see the video. Now I gotcha. I'm not really good at electrical but let me know how you did it 'cause that's kinda nice.

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can see the video to see what I mean on the brake light, which functions as brake, turn and city, if I have the brake lights on at all it will stay steady on, only the original turn signal will blink. If I use only the turn signal it will flash bright.

Its really hard to explain in words. I could draw a circuit diagram if you can read one.

Thats the reason I think it would be best to make the brake work like it originally did, on or off, and have the turn signal + reverse act as turn signals only. With all these lights flashing it might be confusing. Besides, only way you really see the brake flashing w/ the turn signal is if Im not on the brakes. IE, if I am approaching an intersection and havent started braking yet, or if I am changing lanes on the highway.

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the video, when I put the brakes on w/ turn signal on, it looks like the brake is dimming whenever the signal comes on but thats just because the signal is flooding the camera with light and making everything dimmer.

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I could do a mini writeup after. Any light that you want to fucntion as turn + brake will need diodes. I used 6 total on that setup I think.

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so just to clarify

dotted - dim light
solid = bright light
city = light that comes on with headlights
triangles = diode, used to only allow current to flow in direction of triangle
resistor = load resistor, used for LED bulbs

Originally, it was wired like this

In the video it was wired like this

The extra diode on the city light was necessary because when signalling with the lights off, the brake light on the other side would flash dimly.

The configuration I described as my preference would look like this

For anyone wondering, you will need 7443 sockets for the turn signal or reverse light if you want dual intensity like that design. I got some on ebay, they require a bit of modification to the socket to fit.

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bump need opinions

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wired them to the existing trunk light. I used an empty bulb case and made it plug and play

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so many views yet so few replies

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know how to wire it to do whatever I want, question is what should I do with it. What functionality should I give to each bulb?

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hell, Ill even write a DIY

1 - 20 of 60 Posts