2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

How Scratched Are Your Piano Black Gloss Panels?

• Don't make laugh! They are in Mint Condition, I'M OCD about it!

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • They have some light scratches, nothing visible to the eye!

Votes: 51 36.7%
  • Mmm, I have some light scratches and deep scratches, I'll Survive!

Votes: 53 38.1%
  • Heavily Scratched, I GAVE UP AND I JUST DON'T CARE!

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • OMG! They are more scratched than my Beatles Vinyl disc from the 60's!

Votes: 7 5.0%
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So let's spread the love 0:) for what may be considered the most annoying interior parts in our vehicles. Also this can be your chance to vent about it :laugh2:

I love and hate the glossy piano panels, they look good but scratch so easily! :argh 1:

You are more than welcome to post pics regarding your panels here too, let's see those scratches baby!

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
They're probably there, but I haven't noticed any scratches in 26 months of ownership. I guess I'm anti-OCD about them. I don't see an option for my vote.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I wrapped the dash pieces in a matte red carbon fiber vinyl, had the centre console done too but the red fadded really bad last summer so I went back to OEM. Thinking about wrapping all of them in a matte black or black carbon fiber.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
mine are scratched already!! its only 3 months old

Can see it irritating me a tad. dread to think what they'll be like in a year or two

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
3M makes some nice Carbon Fiber wrap for those of you looking to go that route.

Personally I love the Piano Black look. I've got about 30k miles on mine and they still look pretty darn good if I say so myself. I have one of those eye-glasses cleaners (like ultra-uber microfiber) clothes in my center console. Anytime they need cleaning, I just pull that out and give it a light wipe down. Has worked awesome so far

·
Registered
61 Posts
@stewball5523 @zs_3

It seems like some of you guys might be interested in the 2014 window trim pieces. It is very easy to replace these trim pieces, all you do is remove the rubber liner in the little cubby of the door and use a trim removal piece to pry them right up. Then all you have to do is release the window switch block and slam the new one on. I personally bought the pieces at Genuine Factory OEM Parts & Accessories | TascaParts.com they were about $12 each. Here are the part numbers as well:

BHN9-68-4L6A-02 Driver Front
BHN9-68-5L6A-02 Driver Rear
BHN9-68-4L1A-02 Passenger Front
BHN9-68-5L1A-02 Passenger Rear

I am 99% sure that I have marked the part numbers with where they go but please confirm yourself.

If anyone needs a how to on how to replace these just let me know and I can do something for you.
Here are the pics:!

Attachments

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
@stewball5523 @zs_3

It seems like some of you guys might be interested in the 2014 window trim pieces. It is very easy to replace these trim pieces, all you do is remove the rubber liner in the little cubby of the door and use a trim removal piece to pry them right up. Then all you have to do is release the window switch block and slam the new one on. I personally bought the pieces at Genuine Factory OEM Parts & Accessories | TascaParts.com they were about $12 each. Here are the part numbers as well:

I am 99% sure that I have marked the part numbers with where they go but please confirm yourself.

If anyone needs a how to on how to replace these just let me know and I can do something for you.
^this

Reactions: red_m3

·
Grand Exalted Poobah
15 Posts
The tricky part I've found with the stick-on window trim covers you find on e-bay (and AliExpress) is that they don't accommodate the power lock switch in the front passenger door on the higher end trim levels like the 2017 GT. Does the 2014 OEM window trim account for that switch?

D7

·
Grand Exalted Poobah
15 Posts
The tricky part I've found with the stick-on window trim covers you find on e-bay (and AliExpress) is that they don't accommodate the power lock switch in the front passenger door on the higher end trim levels like the 2017 GT. Does the 2014 OEM window trim account for that switch?

D7
I just looked at rtware's photos again and it looks like they do have a cutout for the switch. Cool!

I have a follow-up question for rtware923: You said you wrapped the gear shifter trim cover. Do you recall the brand and color of wrap you used to match the 2014 window trim pieces?

D7

·
Too Many Projects!
368 Posts
@stewball5523 @zs_3

That saves me a trip to the vinyl shop, thanks!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Does anyone here have a base model with the non-piano black front side vent trim.
I recall seeing it on the lowest models about a year ago.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just looked at rtware's photos again and it looks like they do have a cutout for the switch. Cool!

I have a follow-up question for rtware923: You said you wrapped the gear shifter trim cover. Do you recall the brand and color of wrap you used to match the 2014 window trim pieces?

D7
@dumeril7
Here is a link to the exact stuff I bought. It was the cheapest I found on Amazon($4). This was my first time wrapping everything so I decided to just go with the cheapest stuff I could. If it lasts 6 months I will be happy and probably will re-do it with a higher quality vinyl like 3m.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007OXCIB0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you are planning on doing the gear shift wrap I will advise you to make sure you remove the plate and all of the other plastic trim attached to the piano black piece before attempting. If you need any help with it let me know and I can take some pics.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
ok fine you twisted my arm, i hate how dusty the piano black gets and would definitely prefer the CF trim, I might just grab them used from a wrecked one if any pop up locally.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I might have some light scratches, but i have not seen them myself so i went with "mint"

My steering wheel on the other hand has a few marks, notably some white specs (posted a very unpopular thread here about it) and a few marks where i've caught it with my fingernail and whatnot - overall i'd say the interior is holding up fairly well

1 - 20 of 59 Posts