2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kind of thinking about replacing my stock (2012 skyactiv hatch) spoiler with either a mazdaspeed one or a 2.5 liter one. I was wondering how easy the install would be and whether or not it would cause my gas millage to take a noticeable drop.
Thank!

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Gas mileage I doubt you'd notice anything and there held on by 2-4 bolts

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
There was speculation before that the sky wing was designed to increase fuel economy and that changing it would cause a drop in highway mileage.

After learning more about these cars I don't believe that's true. The Canadian sky models come with the 2.5 wing. And some members here have the speed wing on there sky and haven't REPORTED any drops.

·
Registered
30 Posts
LOL, seriously? the mudflaps you have are more likely to decrease your gas than a spoiler.

Reactions: finaldrive

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
LOL, seriously? the mudflaps you have are more likely to decrease your gas than a spoiler.
Think about it. The speed wing sits up off the roof of the car. You can hear it catching wind on the highway. The sky has a short rounded wing. It doesn't take much to decrease highway mileage. I still don't think it will hurt the mileage but I can understand why people think it does.

·
Registered
184 Posts
At my dealer, each of the trim models comes with a different wing. o-o

I don't have a speed, I have a skyactiv, but I ended up with the cute one.

Spoilers do increase resistance - to a point - and generally reduce MPG. However, they can break the flow into the wash and actually increase MPG. But this varies wildly by speed.

-Crissa

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Think about it. The speed wing sits up off the roof of the car. You can hear it catching wind on the highway. The sky has a short rounded wing. It doesn't take much to decrease highway mileage. I still don't think it will hurt the mileage but I can understand why people think it does.
Yeah, this is why I was wondering about it. I had also heard (from the mazda dealer) that a "speed" wing would decrease the mileage- he didn't say by how much and I know he's not an expert, but I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't kill my gas mileage! I personally wouldn't think that my mpg's would noticeably drop but ya never know.

Time to start the search for a spoiler then!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
The difference will be hardly noticeable. Think about it this way. What is the most wind resistant thing you could add to your car, and how much does that affect your mileage.

For example, have you ever done a roof rack on a vehicle with bikes, or with a cargo carrier? I know personally that doing something like that on my car affects the gas mileage by maybe 20%. Now that is a huge block on the ROOF of the car. So I can't imagine a Spoiler would decrease yours anywhere near that.

Probably more like 5% or less. Which is about 1 mpg.

Of course it could also improve it from what others are saying.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The skyactiv wing was shaped with better aerodynamics in mind and follows the whole skyactiv theme i.e. better mpg's and higher efficiency, but changing it will not kill the gas mileage of the car. They reshaped the front fascia for the same reason.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
The sky spoiler has been around since the dawn of Gen 2 -- it's not a special part. Granted, it is probably the most slippery of the three choices. The speed spoiler takes up way more space, but provides an air channel, so whether you get penalized or not depends on if the air channel is well designed.

My bet is a 1mpg hit, but ideally this should be tested.

Reactions: swerv0428

·
Registered
5,839 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
I noticed for the 2013 models that the GT Tech Pack Skyactiv cars actually have the 2.5 spoiler on them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts