2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been putting off changing them because I've been saving up to buy a set of rims for my summers. Didn't want to pay for the stock steel rims being changed back to summers, and then off again. Worried I've done some real wear on my brand new winters because of my stupidity.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have been putting off changing them because I've been saving up to buy a set of rims for my summers. Didn't want to pay for the stock steel rims being changed back to summers, and then off again. Worried I've done some real wear on my brand new winters because of my stupidity.
That depends - are you in Edmonton, or in Miami? :wink2:

Measuring your tread depth will tell you how much tread you've used, and how much you have left. Besides tread wear, how soft the rubber still is is what I'd be most concerned about.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Not knowing where you live, nor primarily the temperatures your winter tires have been exposed it, not knowing the mileage you have put on them since "winter" ended, nor the type of driving you do -- whether you have been doing calm commuting, racy street driving or worst yet, auto crossing and other racing, impossible for us to even venture a guess.

However, I will give it a partial shot by adding one more question, and then my giving you a wild guess...

We also would need to know when you say "winter tires," are you talking real "snow tires" with the "mountain snowflake" logo, or a set of all season winter tires. If the latter A/S tires, and you have done regular driving, you do not live in hot weather, nor have you done aggressive driving as a typical pattern, I would not worry.

If conversely, you however are an aggressive driver, have been driving a fair amount in hot weather, you could have severely jeopardized your remaining tread depth.

We need answers from you from all the above questions, and the key info from @dradernh has asked, before we can provide you will any further guesses.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts