2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 3 Sport 2.0 Automatic
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles the Mazda lifetime transmission fluid lasts? Obviously not lifetime. I know for example that the Toyota lifetime WS transmission fluid is designed for 120k miles.

Mazda officially says no fluid changes but is there any other info on the FZ transmission fluid interval?
Mazda USA Official Site | Cars, SUVs & Crossovers | Mazda USA

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
you're right to say that the fluid is not made to last what you deem the lifetime of the car. it's made for what mazda thinks the lifetime of the car should be. in other words, well out of warranty.

now figuring out exactly how long it should last is going to be difficult if not impossible. there are many factors to how long a trans fluid is good for just like your engine oil. is the car under 'severe' use such as towing? what is the climate it is being driven in? the design of the transmission has a huge effect as does the fluid itself.

so in short all you can really do is try to play it safe and come up with your own time to flush it that you're comfortable with. 120k miles is probably not unreasonable. in the past, i've always done a full flush at around 120k kms but things have changed and that is probably excessive these days. still, so long as you're not going into the realm of stupid it's hard to argue with a little over maintaining when you just don't know for sure.

as far as doing the job most shops will drain the pan and refill. you're getting less than half the fluid that way. there are ways of doing a full flush to clean out the torque converter such as using the cooler lines although that's more difficult on these cars. the trans cooler is located on the trans itself. there's also dropping the pan to replace the filter and clean the magnets. however, changing the filter is rarely required, just a nice to do. you could also do the lazy version - drain and fill the pan when you change your oil for a while. eventually you'll replace pretty well all the fluid.

·
Registered
708 Posts
If it were my car I'd drop the pan, change the filter, button it up...and simply drain/replenish twice more - at 80,000km / 50,000 mi. intervals. Is this too frequent? Maybe... But it certainly won't hurt it. And I would rest easy knowing I've done my level best.

Level best, actually, would be to do the above plus to plumb-in an aux. cooler and a tight-media bypass filter... but that's a bunch of work.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I change the fluid when it looks dirty/burnt but not the filter using a fluid vacuum pump. Changing the filter is an agony job I've done in the past-if you don't have a car hoist- you get covered in used fluid with its unique odour and you generally end up throwing out the clothes/overalls you were wearing at the time.
But whether it's all worthwhile depends on how long you intend to keep the car.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 3 Sport 2.0 Automatic
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may try the drain and fill method at 120k miles. I do it very often on my CRV that needs it every 30k. I do not think I will buy a Honda again but that’s another story.

I did once a full fluid replacement on a Ford Excursion I had with dropping the pan, replacing 2 filters, opening the cooler line, then turning the engine on and adding quarts of fluid one by one while a clear bucket with lines was filling with dark fluid. Very scary to destroy the transmission and finally the line fell off the bucket and messed up the garage floor. I will never do that again!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I think this thread has been good at giving you options. Choose what suits you best. Bottom line is taking the easiest one is still better than doing nothing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts