2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

How many miles do the stock tires last?

34K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  gregersonke 
#1 ·
2015 Mazda3i Sport Hatchback (automatic).
I'm at 35k miles now.

Want to know how many miles the stock tires usually last so I can plan/budget for replacements.

#2 · (Edited)
That all depends on driving habits/environment, and so much more including, at least, all of the following. If one drives with a lot of zoom-zoom on lots of curvy roads, far different from a gentle driver driving most of his/her miles on straight interstates. Also, quality of roads make a difference as their pavement (or lack thereof), has different abrasion characteristics. Another major factor is track time or lack thereof. As is whether the car has been kept in proper alignment and the tires rotated at recommended intervals. Has the owner keep their tires properly inflated or being casual about that? Sorry too many variables to answer your question. However, I bet that someone on this forum has gotten 60K from stock tires, while someone else had to replace them at below 20K.

#4 ·
Zero, had the dealer put on Michelins

Reactions: BMWWW and Road Trip
#5 ·
LOVE your post. I am LOL. Thanks @BearlyHere.

And BTW, I am going to do almost exactly the same -- though my stock tires will last the 1.9 miles until I drive over to Discount Tire where my Michelins will be waiting.

#6 ·
I'm at 32k and just rotated the tires yesterday (I do my own rotations)
They still have some meat left on them before they hit the wear bars and are wearing evenly for the most part
The outside of each tire is ever so slightly more worn than the inside, I had to look at it closely to even notice

Forgot to mention I have the AVID s34 Yoko's

#17 · (Edited)
I also have Yokohamas on my 2015 from the factory. I've got about 23,000 miles on them, and they are wearing well. I rotate them every 6000 miles or so.

I have also noticed slightly more wear on the outside treads of the tires compared with the center and inside treads. I wonder if this is a factor of how the suspension is set up.

#8 · (Edited)
Most U.S. states require 2/32's (1.59 mm) of tread left to drive on public roads. I am more conservative, for I never know when I have to do an instantaneous lane change to avoid a jerk driver who is about to hit me; or to avoid running into a brand new 10" pothole; or encounter unexpected water flowing across the roadway; or to avoid a sharp piece of metal kicked into my lane. Also, the deeper our treat depth, the greater the percentage chances of not having a flat tire when we run over sharp things in our path.

I find these two charts illuminating, and why I replace my tires at about 4/32's (3.18 mm). FWIW, new street tires average about 10-11/32's (8 mm) in tread depth.

Attachments

#11 ·
any easy way to determine how much tread (x/32") I have left?
One option is to stop by a tire retailer and ask them to measure your tread depths for you. I would suggest watching while they do it.

You can also use US pennies and quarters to do it, as shown here: https://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=51

For greater accuracy and a specific reading when doing it yourself, this is a modestly priced tool that works well for me: Longacre Tread Depth Gauge 50562

#12 ·
The real question is how many miles do you feel safe driving on OEM Tires. Back in 2011 my OEM Yokos S34 didn't feel safe after 10k when driving in the rain when turning or panic braking in wet weather. Being in the DC area two things you need are great brakes and the best wet weather tires you can afford. If you drive sedately and always slow down when turning good for you but when the tires start slipping you may find out your insurance deductible would be better spent on new tires.

#13 ·
This ↑↑↑↑
Although the tires can be used down to the wear bar, you really shouldn't be going that long. Tires are not like brakes. They don't work at full capacity like brake pads do until they are used up completely. For the most part even the best tires start losing grip once you get to the halfway point, especially in wet in the snow. Tires that are only a couple 32nds away from the wear bars are already shot and pretty much useless in rain or snow.
In addition to that, many performance type tires will age harden. After a couple years they lose much of their performance regardless of tread depth.

#14 · (Edited)
For this reason, I love the Conti DWS 06. They have the actual markers integrated into the tread at different depths -- note the "D" "W" "S" in the tread on the below link

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...9DWS06XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

The "S" will wear off first marking that the "snow" ability won't be as good
The "W" is next, marking the "wet" ability won't be as good
The "D" will wear off stating that you should replace the tire at that point

Is it gimmicky? Eh, probably a little bit. But do I feel more confident about what my tires can and can't handle? Yup -- no more getting out the tire tread measure...easily visible on the tire.

Of course, keep your wheels aligned so everything wears evenly...

#22 ·
With my stock Dunlops I’m at 25k and getting close to the wear indicators. I was already planning on replacing them this year but we will see how much more they will last.

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk

#25 ·
My stock Dunlop 5000s are at 27K miles and I've had no issues. Rotated with each oil change and pressure is kept at 36-37 PSI. Mostly highway driving. 2018 2.5 manual. I will not be replacing them anytime soon, plenty of meat on them. They ride good and track straight. Lots of haters on these tires... not sure why. Maybe I got lucky.

Anyway, the online tire dealers know that these are OEM tires for this car so the price is outrageous. I've been a General Tire buyer for years now so I'll most likely go back to them unless Michelin has one of those crazy $100 Visa card deals that show up every now and then.

My experience is that people are attached to brands of tires in the same manner as motor oil. Over the years, I have changed from Pirelli (lots of issues), to Goodyear (even more), to Dunlops (one bad experience), etc... Until General gives me a bad experience, I'll stick with them. Great thread.

#26 ·
My stock Dunlop 5000s are at 27K miles and I've had no issues. Rotated with each oil change and pressure is kept at 36-37 PSI. Mostly highway driving. 2018 2.5 manual. I will not be replacing them anytime soon, plenty of meat on them. They ride good and track straight. Lots of haters on these tires... not sure why. Maybe I got lucky.

Anyway, the online tire dealers know that these are OEM tires for this car so the price is outrageous. I've been a General Tire buyer for years now so I'll most likely go back to them unless Michelin has one of those crazy $100 Visa card deals that show up every now and then.

My experience is that people are attached to brands of tires in the same manner as motor oil. Over the years, I have changed from Pirelli (lots of issues), to Goodyear (even more), to Dunlops (one bad experience), etc... Until General gives me a bad experience, I'll stick with them. Great thread.

Virtually identical experience and miles and maintenance. Figure maybe next year they MIGHT need replacement.
Had to replace the ones on the Mx-5 with near same mileage, but their inside camber had been out from new and had reset at around 13-14k miles. Replaced their Bridgestone runflats with General Gmax. Had never heard of them before, but got lots of recommendations from the Miata forum on Facebook. One responder said, "Michelin PS4s for half price." I'd say the same thing. Will likely go for a set on the Mz3 when it needs them. Made for General by Continental in France.
Ralph

#27 ·
I've become a Conti guy. I've had two sets and love them. Amazingly good in the snow for an all season tire.

Reactions: darvetis
#28 ·
my stock dunlops lasted all of 100+ kms. got so sick of it, i threw it away brand new..

#32 ·
2016 sTouring 5-door automatic. 32K miles, combination urban and highway driving. I just pulled the trigger on a set of Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ from Costco as they had $110 off through yesterday (and last month) and they are switching the offer to Bridgestone this month. I probably could get another 10K miles without too much trouble but winter is coming and I don't want to deal with snow when I'm nearing the wear bars. Plus I want those A/S 3+ Michelins. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.