2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the manual says it recommends the first 600 miles to vary speeds, avoid hard braking, etc. as a 'break-in' period, but when did you first start using the cruise control? I just passed 1000 miles and I'm thinking I might start using it now. I think my mpg will hit the magic 40 mark then since I've been averaging 37-38 since I've got it with mostly highway driving.

·
Ian'sDGM3
26 Posts
I have been using Cruise since day 1 ( I would still vary it for the "break in " ). I get 42-47mpg EASILY on my 5AM commute with no one around on the road. Keep in mind, my commute is 40 or so miles , no stops, and I'm in 6th gear by 37mph ALL the time and have the cruise set on back roads and highway 75% of the time.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. I noticed I got 42.7 mpg today and still haven't used the cc. Will probably use it starting tomorrow. My commute is mostly highway and 27 miles one way, so looking forward to seeing it go up hopefully!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm at 4,200 km and haven't even touched it yet. I actually haven't even found out how to us it, although I'm sure it's a piece of cake. :p

I simply don't really need it, seeing as everyone varies their speed constantly here. I would constantly be playing with it just to keep a safe distance.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yep, started to use CC right around 1000 miles. It's a lot harder in LA to do that, but I try to just cruise 65 when I can.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yeah, it all varies on how fast traffic moves. Around here with a 45m commute everyone goes 70+. If there's no traffic I get around 42. With traffic I get ~40.

if I were to go 55-60 the whole way I could probably get better mileage, but it's not really safe to do that on these highways (Boston area). You instantly become a moving hazard.

2 weekends ago I went to Maine via rt4 -> rt1 in NH, and I got >50MPG on the way there! Going a constant ~45 most of the way with some slower points in populated areas, mostly in 6th (manual) with cruse. This thing gets insane mileage if you're in the right conditions. I kinda wish they geared 6th a bit less aggressively to get better fuel mileage on the highways, I can totally downshift when I need to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts