2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've confirmed that the Mazda factory rear brakes suck. New in may 2014 I got 27k out of them followed by 93k out of aftermarket ones until I got to 1mm. However according to dealer, my fronts still have 6mm on them at 120k. So at this rate, I'm likely to burn through a set of front brakes every 200k.

They are easy enough to change. But for those of you who do mostly highway, this is what you have to look forward to.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My dealer told me my front pads would probably need replacing next service interval (5k / 5months). I'm only at 15k miles... Don't know if my aggressive driving habits are to blame, or just shitty brakes.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please, which aftermarket brakes (or just pads) did you use to get your 93K out of your rears?
Centric Posi quiet Premium pads 105.17290 for the Japan 2.5 Models.

Also took a metal file and sandpaper to the groove on ends of one of the calipers because it was far more worn down than the other side hinting at it sticking so I opened it up to move a little more easily away from the disc. I've seen reports of others here talking about one side being more worn than the other by a good amount leading me to believe this is a common factory defect. So for those of you who have the dealer replace your pads make sure to get your old parts back and use that to get mazda to compensate you for part of the repair since they should wear evenly.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dealer told me my front pads would probably need replacing next service interval (5k / 5months). I'm only at 15k miles... Don't know if my aggressive driving habits are to blame, or just shitty brakes.

If you have the 2.0L version it does have a smaller surface area and I could see it wearing faster. But not that much faster, unless you are a serious late brake person who never looks ahead while driving to notice that you are accelerating at the red light or you never downshift on long mountains and use the brakes until you smell them. If it's serious driving habits, your average gas mileage would practically need to be in the low 20s to high teens getting that kind of brake life.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
If you have the 2.0L version it does have a smaller surface area and I could see it wearing faster. But not that much faster, unless you are a serious late brake person who never looks ahead while driving to notice that you are accelerating at the red light or you never downshift on long mountains and use the brakes until you smell them. If it's serious driving habits, your average gas mileage would practically need to be in the low 20s to high teens getting that kind of brake life.
Im rockin 9.6L/100km(24.5MPG) at 18,000km now, does that mean my brakes will be toast by next spring? O wait lol I autocross and also LOVE diving deep into exit ramps, so yup they'll be toast, as to be expected from OEM brakes and my driving lol. Carbotech AX6 pads for me next spring :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Have a 2.5L and do alot of spirited mountain driving while averaging around 23 mpg however I don't brake late or accelerate quickly just to stomp on brakes.

Prior to replacing tires, I did have brake concerns yet the dealer I leased it from insisted that I needed to replace my whole brake system just because I painted the calipers red. Quoted me over $2200 because of "warped rotors and hotspots caused by the paint I did on the calipers".

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
Have a 2.5L and do alot of spirited mountain driving while averaging around 23 mpg however I don't brake late or accelerate quickly just to stomp on brakes.

Prior to replacing tires, I did have brake concerns yet the dealer I leased it from insisted that I needed to replace my whole brake system just because I painted the calipers red. Quoted me over $2200 because of "warped rotors and hotspots caused by the paint I did on the calipers".
Its funny you mention painting calipers, my local autocross club was just discussing helmets with a new member who wanted to get a friend to airbrush his helmet. Unfortunately due to strict safety regulations he was discouraged from doing that as there have been documented cases of painted helmets not meeting safety regulations. It can be done, but its a process and it must be done correctly to ensure proper safety standards. Painting calipers isn't new by any means, but it has to be done very precisely with the right type of paint, drying/curing process ect. The other part is, your leasing the vehicle, which means that dealership has to re-take possession at the end of the lease and then sell the vehicle to someone else. Generally speaking, modding a leased vehicle is heavily frowned upon by the dealerships as many mods are not appreciated by the majority of potential customers a dealership has available to them when they re-sell(or auction) a leased vehicle. Those customers want the vehicle OEM or as close to OEM as possible. Painted calipers might not be a big deal for you but to many others if given the choice they would take a vehicle without painted calipers versus DIY'd painted calipers. I would argue that they are using the fact its a leased vehicle to squeeze you for more money, but, if you messed up with the painting process what they are saying could be true. I highly recommend getting a 2nd opinion from an independent shop locally that you know and trust to ensure your not being squeezed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Its funny you mention painting calipers, my local autocross club was just discussing helmets with a new member who wanted to get a friend to airbrush his helmet. Unfortunately due to strict safety regulations he was discouraged from doing that as there have been documented cases of painted helmets not meeting safety regulations. It can be done, but its a process and it must be done correctly to ensure proper safety standards. Painting calipers isn't new by any means, but it has to be done very precisely with the right type of paint, drying/curing process ect. The other part is, your leasing the vehicle, which means that dealership has to re-take possession at the end of the lease and then sell the vehicle to someone else. Generally speaking, modding a leased vehicle is heavily frowned upon by the dealerships as many mods are not appreciated by the majority of potential customers a dealership has available to them when they re-sell(or auction) a leased vehicle. Those customers want the vehicle OEM or as close to OEM as possible. Painted calipers might not be a big deal for you but to many others if given the choice they would take a vehicle without painted calipers versus DIY'd painted calipers. I would argue that they are using the fact its a leased vehicle to squeeze you for more money, but, if you messed up with the painting process what they are saying could be true. I highly recommend getting a 2nd opinion from an independent shop locally that you know and trust to ensure your not being squeezed.
Funny story but its principle relates pretty well.
I went over 4 times to a separate dealer near me (not the one i leased it from) and they never gave me issues with any of the mods I've done and they have said multiple times that they couldn't find anything wrong with my brakes. I think they just didn't want to deal with me and had an easy way to say I voided the warranty.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
Funny story but its principle relates pretty well.
I went over 4 times to a separate dealer near me (not the one i leased it from) and they never gave me issues with any of the mods I've done and they have said multiple times that they couldn't find anything wrong with my brakes. I think they just didn't want to deal with me and had an easy way to say I voided the warranty.
that's why I recommend finding a local independent shop(non-dealership) to have it inspected at, confirm the dealerships findings or possibly disprove them. That gives you something to take to the higher levels of Mazda to try and get the warranty.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Paint on calipers causing hotspots, that's a new one. Then ask them about why there is no zinc on zinc coated rotors after use. It gets immediately scrapped off.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Paint on calipers causing hotspots, that's a new one. Then ask them about why there is no zinc on zinc coated rotors after use. It gets immediately scrapped off.
Tried emailing the Service Manager who told me all that BS with pictures of my rotors and calipers from another dealership just to ask him to clarify what was wrong.

4 months later and he still has not replied... Leads me to believe he was full of shit and just wanted to take the easy way out and say I voided my warranty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts