2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lets say i had the car running and got out to mail a letter at a mailbox.
someone hops into my car and drives off.
my key fob is still in my pocket.

how long before the engine cuts off?

·
Registered
583 Posts
No secret here. Forever...until the car is shut off for whatever reason. There are other remote options to shut the car off, but the basic keyless fob is not one of them.

As you know you can't lock the car door with the fob while the car is running...that can only be done by using the key. I mention this because there are times I need to keep my car running in hot weather with my dogs in the back seat.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The key fob is supposed to be in the "loop" for the ignition to operate. When I get out the car to post a letter (with key fob in pocket) the engine cuts out.
But, I've also got out and the engine has kept running, explain that one?

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
I’ve left the wife’s car running at the grocery store before and shopped for about half an hour on a couple of occasions (don’t tell her!).
It does not turn off when you leave with the fob in your pocket.
It’s push button start and really quiet, I think I need to get a pair of glasspacks for it :) It’s a Chrysler though....totally different animal.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mine does not turn off if I leave my fob in my pocket... it's not that sophisticated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The key fob is supposed to be in the "loop" for the ignition to operate. When I get out the car to post a letter (with key fob in pocket) the engine cuts out.

I will say you subconsciously turned the car off without realizing it.

I worked at a Mazda dealership before and we always drive off the lot without key/fob in range and never once had the engine shut off on us.

·
Registered
720 Posts

The engine can only stop due to i-Stop operating. Otherwise the engine will keep running until it runs out of fuel or the ignition is turned off.

·
Registered
'15 Mazda3
174 Posts
IMO, It would be a nice feature if cars that had a fob, wouldn't run when the fob is removed, BUT, what would happen when the battery died in the fob while you were driving?

Maybe the fob system could be sync'd with the seatbelt system?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I let my GF at the time drive my RX8 back in 2008, then car was still running as I took the drivers seat to drive home and she walked into her house. About 10 minutes later as i'm driving home i get a call "I have your key!!!". So yeah, on that car at least, no problems driving without the key.

I imagine if they had a system where the car shuts off if it can't see the key, that would open up a big can of worms for legitimate drivers with a key.

·
Registered
583 Posts

As the Mazda employee Uncle Zen stated, it's doubtful. The key fob is only required to start the car. It would be very dangerous for the car to suddenly turn off at some point down the road...even if it is a thief. There is probably liability issues for a manufacturer if that were the case.

Furthermore, Mazda only indicates you will hear a beep and not the car shuts off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.