2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know much about DRTuned. But I did a year of research (literally read hundreds of pages on forums) before I got OVT on my 17' Mazda 3 2.5 on 91 octane. My car has no performance hardware mods (only the tune).

Would never buy another Mazda without the tune, makes a world difference in daily driviability (eg. <3K RPM). The performance throughout the rev range is much improved. It feels like a different car (as have others mentioned). Its a lot easier to spin the wheels now if you give it more throttle!

What's interesting is that on my last data log (there is a long stretch of very flat motorway), my 80-120 km/h (50 - 75mph) time is about 4.0-4.1 secs. When the car was stock, it was something like 5.0 sec (can't recall the exact figure).
Having done some research online, I found that a Hyundai i30n and his 80-120km/h time is around 4 secs too (which is really impressive, given that the i30n is either 184kw (247hp) or 206kw (271hp). All of this is rough timing of course (not using VBOX instrument). I haven't tested the car's 0-100 km/h (0-62mph) as I don't really like to do hard launches with my car.

IMO, OVT was very worth the money for me.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I don't know much about DRTuned. But I did a year of research (literally read hundreds of pages on forums) before I got OVT on my 17' Mazda 3 2.5 on 91 octane. My car has no performance hardware mods (only the tune).

Would never buy another Mazda without the tune, makes a world difference in daily driviability (eg. <3K RPM). The performance throughout the rev range is much improved. It feels like a different car (as have others mentioned). Its a lot easier to spin the wheels now if you give it more throttle!

What's interesting is that on my last data log (there is a long stretch of very flat motorway), my 80-120 km/h (50 - 75mph) time is about 4.0-4.1 secs. When the car was stock, it was something like 5.0 sec (can't recall the exact figure).
Having done some research online, I found that a Hyundai i30n and his 80-120km/h time is around 4 secs too (which is really impressive, given that the i30n is either 184kw (247hp) or 206kw (271hp). All of this is rough timing of course (not using VBOX instrument). I haven't tested the car's 0-100 km/h (0-62mph) as I don't really like to do hard launches with my car.

IMO, OVT was very worth the money for me.
Thanks for sharing your experiences, it's good to hear! Do you have any before and after data? I am about to embark on the same journey and I would appreciate any and all that you would be willing to share.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Heres a couple before / after plots from the virtual dyno software
this is whp on the plots

first log file shows basically stock power plus a few extras from intake/exhaust mods

this later log file shows a nice power bump, thats about 190 at the crank if previously posted dyno results are right...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experiences, it's good to hear! Do you have any before and after data? I am about to embark on the same journey and I would appreciate any and all that you would be willing to share.
Sorry I don't have any comparable data from stock to fully tuned.

My first several data logs/tune files were done using 2nd gear (even though I really knew at the time it was better to do 3rd gear ones - but there was a convenient stretch of road which wasn't safe for 3rd gear pulls). Then several of my last few data logs/tune files were done in 3rd gear.

You'll be in good hands if you decide to go with OVT! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
im currently on revison 1.4 with DRT and were just about to finish up so i should be able to post numbers within a week or so

61 - 66 of 66 Posts