2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about tuning my 2015 sedan 2.0L because of the annoying rev hang and just a little bit more power.
I saw reviews about OVTuned and they seem to be pretty good, but I know that they only tune Mazda's from request because they only focus on Toyota now. (Plus they're more expensive than Drtuned's basemap option and I don't have a ton to spend)
I am quite tempted to pull the trigger on the Drtune, but wanna hear some reviews or opinions on it first. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
I have been thinking about tuning my 2015 sedan 2.0L because of the annoying rev hang and just a little bit more power.
I saw reviews about OVTuned and they seem to be pretty good, but I know that they only tune Mazda's from request because they only focus on Toyota now. (Plus they're more expensive than Drtuned's basemap option and I don't have a ton to spend)
I am quite tempted to pull the trigger on the Drtune, but wanna hear some reviews or opinions on it first. Any thoughts?
OVT is more expensive for a reason. OVT offers a lot more support after the tune and will do whatever number of tune revisions it takes to get it right. From what I have seen the DRTuning basemap only gives you 6 revisions before you are charged for a full new tune.....so if you mess up your datalogs, you are screwed. The full DRT tune like OVT does is $569 but revisions are again limited and there is only a 90 day window, where OVT has 6 months I think, with as many revision as you need.
In my tune files, I currently have 5 different final tune options from OVT.
OVT doesn't officially do Mazda tunes any more. However, you might email them and ask if OVT-PH can do one for you. Rafael is / was the Philippine based part of OVT that did the Mazda tunes in addition to the 4 separate revisions sent as part of the tune progression.
You don't want the base map thing, its pretty much a canned tune that doesn't do much. To get any real decent gains, you need a full 93 octane tune.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am OV tuned... Contact OVT thru [email protected]
they are going through some changes in 2019 ...plus they are starting with new headers for mazda skyactiv Orangevirus Tuning

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OVT is more expensive for a reason. OVT offers a lot more support after the tune and will do whatever number of tune revisions it takes to get it right. From what I have seen the DRTuning basemap only gives you 6 revisions before you are charged for a full new tune.....so if you mess up your datalogs, you are screwed. The full DRT tune like OVT does is $569 but revisions are again limited and there is only a 90 day window, where OVT has 6 months I think, with as many revision as you need.
In my tune files, I currently have 5 different final tune options from OVT.
OVT doesn't officially do Mazda tunes any more. However, you might email them and ask if OVT-PH can do one for you. Rafael is / was the Philippine based part of OVT that did the Mazda tunes in addition to the 4 separate revisions sent as part of the tune progression.
You don't want the base map thing, its pretty much a canned tune that doesn't do much. To get any real decent gains, you need a full 93 octane tune.

Thank you so much! I will try to contact OVT and see if I can get a response from them.
In the meantime, I want to ask that if the rev hang between 1st and 2nd is still there after you got it tuned?

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Thank you so much! I will try to contact OVT and see if I can get a response from them.
In the meantime, I want to ask that if the rev hang between 1st and 2nd is still there after you got it tuned?
It doesn't seem anywhere near as bad.

What rev hang?
The rev hang that is designed into the SA and many other newer engine designs to reduce emissions. Its only present on manual transmission cars.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Ahhh...
Thats when you lift off the throttle and the rpms don't drop or drop very slowly. Its done on manual transmission cars mostly to help reduce emissions. The theory is this - On new cars with engine management controlled totally by computers and sensors, lifting off the throttle moves the TPS to 0%, closes the throttle plate and signals the ECU to shut off the fuel. This sudden closing of the throttle plate causes two things - a spike in internal engine pressure and a brief very lean burn condition. The pressure spike causes engine oil to vaporize faster, releasing hydrocarbon pollutants, and the lean burn results in excessive NOx levels. So, the throttle is not closed fully right off, allowing things to normalize before closing completely. As a result, the rpms don't come down as quickly as would be expected.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ahhh...
Thats when you lift off the throttle and the rpms don't drop or drop very slowly. Its done on manual transmission cars mostly to help reduce emissions. The theory is this - On new cars with engine management controlled totally by computers and sensors, lifting off the throttle moves the TPS to 0%, closes the throttle plate and signals the ECU to shut off the fuel. This sudden closing of the throttle plate causes two things - a spike in internal engine pressure and a brief very lean burn condition. The pressure spike causes engine oil to vaporize faster, releasing hydrocarbon pollutants, and the lean burn results in excessive NOx levels. So, the throttle is not closed fully right off, allowing things to normalize before closing completely. As a result, the rpms don't come down as quickly as would be expected.
Yea, i looked it up, but i dont notice it in my car, what i notice is the off gear throttle lag. You have to mash it hard to blip to rev match

·
Registered
115 Posts
True ..abandoned... But the last time i spoke to Rafael, about when OV stopped selling new tunes for mazda, who is providing support for mazda did mention Mat working on Cams and Header for skyactiv engines. The Corksport header kinda look similar ...

·
Registered
451 Posts
True ..abandoned... But the last time i spoke to Rafael, about when OV stopped selling new tunes for mazda, who is providing support for mazda did mention Mat working on Cams and Header for skyactiv engines. The Corksport header kinda look similar ...
Thats cause CS doesnt make their own stuff...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is somebody got a response from OVT for skyactiv tune ? They really seem dead. Do they really don't make it anymore ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm currently in the process of my custom tune with DRTuned. i went through my starting basemap tune and that alone made a world of difference. torque hits sooner, rev limiter goes to 7k which helps keeping power down through shifting (i own a manual) instead of feeling like your starting out at the bottom of your power band again. they are fairly quick to respond (within a week normally) and are very clear with their directions. I've enjoyed my experience with them so far and hopefully the end product is everything i expected.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts