2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Mazda3i Sport AT

from getting out ramps to putting the used oil in the milk jug, it took me 45min.
this is my 4th oil change for this car but 1st time timing it.

45min seems slow.
How long should an oil change be, including clean up?

·
Registered
22 Posts
45-60 minutes seems completely normal. If you're changing your own oil, it's never really a rush. Since you're the one doing the change, I feel like a slow, deliberate pace helps you avoid mistakes. Plus, working on the car can be very therapeutic and enjoyable, so no need to hurry through it like they do at the oil change places.

·
Working Class Hero
3,602 Posts
Of i had staff to set up and clean up, it would take all of 15 minutes. It's all the rest that takes all the time lol.

I take my time. I enjoy the diversion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
468 Posts
walking from the garage with all the stuff needed, to finishing, about 45-60mins

no reason to rush

if i had a hoist, probably 15 mins

car didn't seem to mind how long i took.......

·
Registered
18 Posts
It takes me about 45mins. I like to wait till there is hardly any old oil dripping before putting back the drain plug. I usually do some interior detailing while waiting.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Never timed it. I take my time. Takes a tad longer to suck it out, but it avoids contact with very hot oil.

Use a zip lock bag over the oil filter and avoid getting any oil on the floor down there.

Could be quicker if Mazda did the right thing and made the filter removable from above like most European and some American vehicles.

Ralph

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I figure I'm around 45 minutes. Normally I can do it in around 20-30, but I take a lot of documentation for the warranty. I video tape my oil changes with my phone as well, so it takes longer to explain everything, torque setting on the torque wrench, etc. I want to make it as difficult as possible for the dealer to deny warranty service.

I also tend to do some quick visual checks as well (such as coolant level, lube my door hinges, etc). It all adds up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I figure I'm around 45 minutes. Normally I can do it in around 20-30, but I take a lot of documentation for the warranty. I video tape my oil changes with my phone as well, so it takes longer to explain everything, torque setting on the torque wrench, etc. I want to make it as difficult as possible for the dealer to deny warranty service.

I also tend to do some quick visual checks as well (such as coolant level, lube my door hinges, etc). It all adds up.
The irony is that not even the dealers will use a torque wrench for an oil change. I've worked in a few shops before (small and dealers), what do you use that wrench on during an oil change? I've never seen anyone use one for a job like that! Though I'm impressed with the level of your documentation detail for warranty disputes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
About 1 hr. While under the car, I also like to inspect the CV boot and other components around the drain plug.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Never timed it. I take my time. Takes a tad longer to suck it out, but it avoids contact with very hot oil.

Use a zip lock bag over the oil filter and avoid getting any oil on the floor down there.

Could be quicker if Mazda did the right thing and made the filter removable from above like most European and some American vehicles.

Ralph
thx for the tip!

·
Registered
372 Posts
30-45 minutes probably, taking my time, letting as much as possible drain out, and doing other stuff while it drains.

It's a lot less time than it would take to drive to the dealer, wait for them to do it, then drive home.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts