2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
Long time lurker, first time posting.

I had a scare today that has me wondering how easily a new 3 can be broken into with tools? Obviously if someone wants in your car they're going to get in regardless but I'm curious. I always park far out in the back by myself to avoid unnecessary damage but noticed something odd. Someone was parked directly behind my car which is different since no one else ever parks that far back. As I got closer I noticed two gentleman sitting in that car. One on the phone while the other was looking all over the place. As I approached my drivers door I noticed that there was a perfect dust mark imprint of what seemed like a file/jimmie going from mid way down the window to the rubber. I promptly got in my car, pulled a flip around to take a photo of the other cars plates and left.

When I got home I took more notice of the car but didn't see any fingerprints on any of the glass or that the window rubber had any indentations in it. I had just washed the car the day before and others have suggested it may just be tape residue from factory where dust collected. Is this possible? The car does only have 1,700 miles on it but I've washed it once a week since I've bought it back in November and have never seen dust collect in a perfect shape like that on the glass. Hopefully I'm just over worrying but I don't want to lose my car either because I love it so much. :tt2: Just seeing a car with 2 guys sitting in it, a rather bland model car that was stock covered in a bunch of unheard non major brand stickers, and that perfect dust mark = thieves/chop shop in my head. I've also heard the things like slim jims aren't even viable options on newer cars. Is it true?

Sorry for rambling on. Thanks in advance for your help guys and gals.

·
Registered
752 Posts
If they were amature enough to not have a slim jim they would just use a brick lol. There are some cars that are harder to break into than others one that comes to mind is the stiff ass windows from of volvos and having safety glass in the side windows but really most modern cars the window frame is really thin and flexible and can easily be preyed out enough to get a slim jim or coat hanger in there to unlock the car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The bigger concern with cars is not how easy it is to get in (since glass is still easily broken by rocks or other heavy objects), but how easy it is to steal the vehicle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Don't worry about things you cannot control. Do whatever it takes to prevent damage (like parking at the back of the lot), but when it comes down to it, this is why we have insurance!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well as far as I know if you attempt to start the car 3 times without the keys it will completely lock everyone but Mazda out. Including you. So if they tried to hot wire it into starting it would activate the anti theft and your car couldn't be stolen. My concern is attempting to stealing the aftermarket looking stereo as I haveheard of thieves targeting the decks on other cars. Also open open the windows and lock your car. Place the key fob fairly far away and unlock the car through the window. That alarm will never shut off unless the key is close enough. I couldn't stop it until I got in the car

·
Registered
381 Posts
Avg joy rider will never be able to steal the car. Most chop shops use tow trucks for newer cars.
Chop shops are looking for the top stolen cars. If the Mazda 3 gets in real demand for it's parts then people will find a way to steal it with out problems. Look at what there stealing it's often popular performance cars, popular motor swap cars or Cadillac types.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all.

After logically thinking it through and the fact that it was still there unharmed when I left work today put my mind more at ease. I figured it was coincidence or that they were scoping for something inside. I have an i-touring model so I don't believe they were interested in my radio. I figure they saw the suction cup on the windshield for the radar detector I have or they might have possibly passed me before and heard my sub woofers going. Either way I was just having new owner worries. This is my first new car so I take a lot of pride in it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Well as far as I know if you attempt to start the car 3 times without the keys it will completely lock everyone but Mazda out. Including you. So if they tried to hot wire it into starting it would activate the anti theft and your car couldn't be stolen. My concern is attempting to stealing the aftermarket looking stereo as I haveheard of thieves targeting the decks on other cars. Also open open the windows and lock your car. Place the key fob fairly far away and unlock the car through the window. That alarm will never shut off unless the key is close enough. I couldn't stop it until I got in the car
All you need is a laptop, an OBD2 adapter and the correct software. Its suppose to be for dealers but guess what people do dishonest things like pirate software.. This has actually been in the news a lot lately lots of BMW and Mercedes especially being stolen without a key and without damaging the car

·
Registered
145 Posts
If people are going to that length they they aren't stealing Mazda 3's....

·
Registered
752 Posts
If people are going to that length they they aren't stealing Mazda 3's....
Oh I agree with ya there If i were a professional car thief with that tool set I would probably hit up more valuable cars. Just the fact that it is soo easy is kinda disheartening. Not that I have to worry about it where I live.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks all.

After logically thinking it through and the fact that it was still there unharmed when I left work today put my mind more at ease. I figured it was coincidence or that they were scoping for something inside. I have an i-touring model so I don't believe they were interested in my radio. I figure they saw the suction cup on the windshield for the radar detector I have or they might have possibly passed me before and heard my sub woofers going. Either way I was just having new owner worries. This is my first new car so I take a lot of pride in it.
People actually do this at my work parking garage, and it drives me nuts. I walked passed one lady peeking inside and looking at rims etc, I gave her a strange look and she said "best place to look for your next car!".... as she was getting fingerprints and smudges on the drivers side window :death:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
What @D-Jack said is spot on. People no longer need keys anymore. They have the actual software to reset your ECU just like the dealer is able to so they can start your car without the keys. I've seen many documentaries on this. I've even watched one where people will network with others in another state. They'll steal your car and hide it for a while, find the same color car as yours in another state and copy the vin onto the car they stole. And bank that you don't go to the state they're in. If professional thieves want your car, they'll get it. You can only protect against the average Joe. Kill switches :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Old advise, maybe, but never leave anything of value within sight. Even something innocuous like a leather jacket could result in a broken window. Especially if you're parked way out. Wham, bam, broken window, off with your valuables in 5 seconds flat.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I haven't heard much about break-ins on 3s in a while.

But be glad they fixed the issue with the old first gen sedans.
It used to be so easy "anyone can do it!"

Literally, just had to punch the front doors in just the right spot and it would unlock lol....

As for the dust print, adhesive unless washed very properly certainly will hold all dust and pollen which makes it very visible this time of year. If you wipe over the surface just once with soap and water you won't get all the adhesive off, so it's highly likely that's what you were seeing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts