2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2014 Mazda3 has 37,450 miles currently on it. I finally took a look at the spark plugs. They seem a bit black and smell like melted crayons (fouled?). I took these out while the engine was still pretty hot. How do these look to you guys?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,163 Posts
You should not be pulling the plugs out of a hot aluminum head. Always do it cold to avoid potential damage.

·
Super Moderator
6,163 Posts
Do all the plugs have brown stain at base of insulator? It is also helpful to see down in plug to observe carbon.
That brown looks to be oil? Might indicate a cam cover gasket leak if there is oil in there. Otherwise the plug looks normal....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That brown looks to be oil? Might indicate a cam cover gasket leak if there is oil in there. Otherwise the plug looks normal....
There was an oil control valve leak (I think that's what it is called) awhile ago that got fixed.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should not be pulling the plugs out of a hot aluminum head. Always do it cold to avoid potential damage.
It wasn't like super hot, but hot enough that I didn't want to hold it too long, like a bowl of soup out of the microwave. Thanks though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts