2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tires are all cupped. They've been that way for a while and I've had to live with it, but now that the tread has been wearing down new tires are finally on the horizon.

I am aware that alignment can be the culprit, which is why I'm looking into camber arms and toe arms/bolts before I change tires. The car is lowered on coilovers with 235/35/19 tires. Is there anything else I should do in order to prevent cupping again?

Thanks all

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Good link (with pics) on the causes of different types of abnormal tire wear (including cupping).

HOW TO READ TIRE WEAR

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Looks like I'll also have the suspension inspected for any bent or worn parts, as well as ensure that it is well balanced, on top of the camber arms

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd consider zeroing out toe. I thought I had bad cupped edges on my old car even with minimal camber and zeroing out the toe fixed it so I guess it ended up being more feathered edges when I thought "cupped"

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 and my rear tires were both cupped after 25 000 Km (15 500 miles). I had the alignment checked and everything was within factory specifications the tires were rotated and now at 52000 Km the formally front tires , now on the rear, are all cupped. So now I have 4 cupped tires and while I am told this will not shorten the life of the tires I should expect them to get noisy. But why is this happening?
Tires,com says:
Back tire cupping occurs due to one of the following reasons:

Worn shock absorbers or suspension parts
Wheel misalignment
Tire imbalance or runout
Poor quality of tires.

Since this happened by 15500 miles the first and last reasons are suspect since the alignment was found to be correct and no balance problems are evident. The dealer would offer no assistance.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,366 Posts
My Honda Civic used to do that... It was due to bad control arms, which I know because they lost a class action lawsuit and had to fix them for free...6 years into my ownership of the car..after eating up tires and brakes like crazy.

I did a quick Google search and didn't see any listings for a TSB or anything on the CX-5 though. No complaints either..

What kind of tires are you using?
CK

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
I seen this issue with "cut" springs and the solution was fixed with "uncut" ones.

·
Codger
73 Posts
Zeroing the rear toe (with the car ballasted for driver and passenger) stopped the cupping on our 2007 Mazda3. The factory "alignment" specs are uselessly vague, to make the dealer's prep job easier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts