2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so yesterday after driving around I come back and I hear this hissing noise after turning the engine off. The noise was coming from the lower front of the radiator although I couldn't see what was wrong. Since this was bothering me I opened up the front bumper to get a better look at the radiator and this is what a found. Seems like Y shaped plastic piece has broken on the bottom and now part of it is sticking onto the radiator. Is this dangerous and if so how can I fix it?

Attachments

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
Good news, that's not your radiator, so your not in any danger of breaking your car.
The meh news, that is the a/c condenser coil, if that is wet has area has an oil feel to it, it rubbed a hole in it, I think that part that broke is actually metal. If this is the case you will lose your a/c function.
The bad news, anything a/c related can get fairly pricey, rather quickly.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good news, that's not your radiator, so your not in any danger of breaking your car.
The meh news, that is the a/c condenser coil, if that is wet has area has an oil feel to it, it rubbed a hole in it, I think that part that broke is actually metal. If this is the case you will lose your a/c function.
The bad news, anything a/c related can get fairly pricey, rather quickly.
So to clarify, the plastic piece has damaged it causing a leak?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'd take it in for warranty. Looks like the plastic bit melted itself onto the condenser as well. Maybe a TSA will be issued over this.

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
So to clarify, the plastic piece has damaged it causing a leak?
If the "wet" area has an oily feel to it, yes it caused the leak.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd take it in for warranty. Looks like the plastic bit melted itself onto the condenser as well. Maybe a TSA will be issued over this.
Even if my warranty is way past done? I had the basic 30K warranty. Should I still go to a dealership and see what they say?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Even if my warranty is way past done? I had the basic 30K warranty. Should I still go to a dealership and see what they say?

Probably can't get warranty work done anymore. He probably thought you have a '14 model :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably can't get warranty work done anymore. He probably thought you have a '14 model :D
Haha true true. But do you think its worth the trouble to go ask them or go ask my local mechanic?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Replacing an a/c condenser isn't that difficult if your a little bit handy with tools. Autopartswarehouse should sell one that fits for around $100-120. Since there's a leak in the system all your refrigerant has probably leaked out so you don't have to worry about discharging the system. Install it the same way you took the old one out, and go to a shop to have them recharge your a/c system.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Replacing an a/c condenser isn't that difficult if your a little bit handy with tools. Autopartswarehouse should sell one that fits for around $100-120. Since there's a leak in the system all your refrigerant has probably leaked out so you don't have to worry about discharging the system. Install it the same way you took the old one out, and go to a shop to have them recharge your a/c system.
Lol i don't mind doing it myself but is there a how-to, to do this? And also what about the plastic Y piece? Will that get replaced or still be there?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Whoops! totally thought he was talking about a 2014.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't know where to find a how-to for your specific car but either try looking online or just go for it. You're going to have to remove it from the top. So remove anything that gets in the way like the intake box or whatever trim piece there may be. Undo the connections bolted on the condenser but only after verifying there's no refrigerant left in the system. You do not want to breathe that in. Slide out old condenser, slide in new condenser and hook up the lines you took off to the same location. Go to shop for a vacuum and recharge and you're done.
Also the condenser won't contain the Y piece, only the condenser itself. Also I'd find out what caused that piece to break in the first place so it doesn't happen again

·
Registered
817 Posts
You can replace the freon yourself with a do-it-yourself re charge kit, all you need to find out is how much freon your vehicle holds in the system.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm sounds like a challenge! Yea I'm curious on how that piece broke. Hopefully this won't be a hassle!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 17 of 17 Posts