2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UK spec.
Its 22 deg C outside (i dont know what that is in old money)
Set AC on
Set temp to lowest it'll go (15 on display)
Set blower on full blast
Direct air into cabin
Stick thermometer at the vent for a few mins
Lowest temp I can get is 13 dec C.
I think probably it should be colder than that, ISTR in the past I have had < 10 deg C at the vent in a previous car.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Are you saying the lowest thermometer temp is 13 - or the min cabin temp is 13?

If lowest temp when thermometer is shoved into vent, then it's buggered

What's the temp when set to recirc?

Is your car under warranty?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its the temp at the thermomenter.
But I'd completely forgotton about re-circ! (its hasnt been this warm here since october 17)
I should re-do the test when re-circ is on, or the cooling will be reduced because of the intake of warm air from outside.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have the UK spec car with climate control air con. When set to Auto, the car recirculates the air until the cabin is cooled down. Note initially the air from the vents will be tepid if the car has been left in the hot sun due to stagnant hot air in the ducts. The chilled air is very cold after about 5 minutes. I haven't set my cabin any cooler than 17 deg and the car soon cools to this level.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Sc489, I never really use the climate control. Only the AC.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk
The air from my vents is chilled with the aircon on - probably below 5 degs C.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The air from my vents is chilled with the aircon on - probably below 5 degs C.
Have you actually measured that with a thermometer?
I've never in all my life been in a car with AC that cold. Best I ever got was 9.5

To answer your earlier question. All the cc seems to do is set the blower to 2 or 3, sets the AC to on/eco, set the vents to interior and feet and blow coldish air into the cabin. Which is not what I want on a cool day when I've set the temp to 20. It's just as rubbish as it was in my last car.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
To see if your A/C system is performing, measure the outlet temperature at the vent with an accurate thermometer. Drive the car with the A/C on "max". With temperatures in the 70's to 80's Fahrenheit (20 to 30C) the outlet temperature should be around 35 to 48 degrees (1.6 to 8.8C).
Note that when measuring the A/C effectiveness, a digital thermometer in the vent is ideal. Have all the windows open, and the ventilation on fresh air, not recirc, so that you can measure exactly what's happening.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts