2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think this makes it three no's. The reason I do not like it is the contrast immediately took my attention away from the beautiful car to a piece of metal. If you like it that is what maters, and it will probably stand out and be a conversation piece, maybe. Sorry if I am too crass.

Beautiful rims and her finish coat shines nicely.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, guys, I'm asking for feedback to see if it's worth pursuing to make them available to everyone. Don't worry about hurting my feelings.

I had the same design fuel doors, from the factory, on my 2001 and my 2005 Miatas, and they looked pretty neat, but they were roadsters:

·
Registered
245 Posts
On a Miata/roadster/racer: yes.
On something more subtle like the 3: no.

Although color matched it might work well. You'd get the racy look but it wouldn't distract from the rest of the car.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it looks pretty good, but it sounds like most of you don't, maybe because of the chrome? If I were to supply this, it would have to be chrome or unpainted.. no way of having it available in different colors.

Here it is in the body color on my car:

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,066 Posts
I wouldn't put that on my car. It would stand out too much and not match well with the rest of the car.
CK

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
I love it on the top of the rear fender on the Mazda. IMO however, it would be too distracting on the Mazda 3 if shiny metal, and doubt with its purchase price primered, my then need to pay the cost for painting it, that I would buy it.

However, visually the painted version would look nicer than stock one on my 3 hatch.

·
Super Moderator
5,246 Posts
Not for nothing but there is obviously a market for it. A handful of forumites does not a quorum make. Fuel doors just like that have been available for all the earlier generations, in chrome, brushed, painted, carbon fiber, etc, what makes this one any different?:dunno:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Not for nothing but there is obviously a market for it. A handful of forumites does not a quorum make. Fuel doors just like that have been available for all the earlier generations, in chrome, brushed, painted, carbon fiber, etc, what makes this one any different?:dunno:
Yeah, I was sort of surprised at the negative response, but maybe it's because there hasn't been one available on the 3 before. We were introduced to this particular design on the earlier Miatas by the factory, so it was more acceptable; anything new by an unknown tends to get negative reactions at first, unless it is just solving a problem, like the front plate re-locator, etc.

I may look into it, but it's not worth doing if it gets too expensive to fabricate and so far I don't see anyone signing up for one or expressing an interest or commitment.
I'm guessing a metal one would sell for about $100, not unreasonable. It could be in a brushed finish to not be so shinny, or maybe a primed version... donno.

Interesting... a chrome door like this was available OEM on the earlier version Mazda Speed 3 and was popular.

·
Super Moderator
5,246 Posts
Yeah, I was sort of surprised at the negative response, but maybe it's because there hasn't been one available on the 3 before......

I'm guessing a metal one would sell for about $100, not unreasonable. It could be in a brushed finish to not be so shinny, or maybe a primed version... donno.

Interesting... a chrome door like this was available OEM on the earlier version Mazda Speed 3 and was popular.
There is a genuine Mazda part for Gen 1 Mazda 3s available, its a bit over $100-
https://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-3-fuelfiller-doo.html
and gen 2 also-
https://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda3-chrome-fuel-door.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts