2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about making my own hood strut setup since Corksport has discontinued theirs and it appears many of the eBay sites have as well. Wondering if anyone who already has them installed or similar ones can tell me the extended and retracted lengths of struts used. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I got mine free from MV Tuning when I bought the rear diffuser, eyelids and rear window spoiler. It's only on one side, but it works great. I love it.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
900 Posts
I also have the speedline ones and they work well.
Or you could get fancy and pay 3x more to get the AutoExe ones.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So just over a year later and I popped my hood yesterday to find both struts have lost their charge. Anyone else with the speedline ones have this happen? I've contacted their customer support but I'm not sure if I'll have luck with a warranty claim.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The hood opens?

^not handy at all^

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The hood opens?

^not handy at all^
Not sure I follow, yes the hood opens and I can keep it up with the prop, just my speedline struts have no charge. Haven't heard from their customer service yet.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not sure I follow, yes the hood opens and I can keep it up with the prop, just my speedline struts have no charge. Haven't heard from their customer service yet.
Why not just replace the struts? Aftermarket kits like these always strike me as a gamble, plus it shouldn't be too difficult to find a match by cross referencing either the part number or measurements.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why not just replace the struts? Aftermarket kits like these always strike me as a gamble, plus it shouldn't be too difficult to find a match by cross referencing either the part number or measurements.
I have a feeling I'll do this anyways because I don't have much hope of them being warrantied. The local Princess Auto has them for $13 each for cheap ones. I was just curious if anyone else had the same thing happen, they seemed like they were well made.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a feeling I'll do this anyways because I don't have much hope of them being warrantied. The local Princess Auto has them for $13 each for cheap ones. I was just curious if anyone else had the same thing happen, they seemed like they were well made.
Pay once, cry once. Look for a quality strut over el cheapo, or else you'll be buying new ones again in short order.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pay once, cry once. Look for a quality strut over el cheapo, or else you'll be buying new ones again in short order.
The speedline ones were $85, but I get your point, I'll look around.

·
Registered
720 Posts
joking about the hood, not the handiness of me

·
Registered
256 Posts
The speedline ones were $85, but I get your point, I'll look around.
Just wanted you to know I'm not busting your chops. I'd be curious if the Speedline cylinders were made for the brand or if they grabbed generics at a bulk price. Their selling price for the item isn't indicative of quality. All you really need to do is measure what you have and go shopping from there. Heck, as far as I know, the cylinders for my car's hatch are from the assembly line -- 13 years old @ 165K miles!

·
Registered
121 Posts
My struts are still in great shape,
could be that living down here in North Carolina with the very mild weather makes a difference in the life of internal O-rings...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I picked up a pair of Stabilus Lift-o-mat from Princess Auto for $60 plus tax, they were the more expensive ones they offered and seem a little sturdier built, we shall see how they hold out. No word from speedline, oh well. Thanks for the advice and input!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts