2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm closing the deal on my new 5-door SGT the other day, and I tell the salesman I want the auto-dim rearview mirror with the homelink, only to find out that it's not available for this model.

WTF?!? :shocked:

Why would this feature not be available for their top trim line? Forget the fact that it should have already been included, now I can't even add it on after the fact. Seems like a pretty poor decision by Mazda to me. :no:

Anyone have any insight on this?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
So, I'm closing the deal on my new 5-door SGT the other day, and I tell the salesman I want the auto-dim rearview mirror with the homelink, only to find out that it's not available for this model.

WTF?!? :shocked:

Why would this feature not be available for their top trim line? Forget the fact that it should have already been included, now I can't even add it on after the fact. Seems like a pretty poor decision by Mazda to me. :no:

Anyone have any insight on this?
The sGT was wired for the auto-dimming mirror which lacks the full power wire for Homelink. In addition, with the sGT tech package, you'd need a longer stem than the accessory for the other models because of the radar sensor to the left of the mirror. See my instructions in the How-to section. I've installed a new Gentex Homelink mirror with compass in my sGT. There is no reason you should not have one, but it would require Mazda to get a mirror that Gentex does not make. My supplier will install a longer stem if you have the tech package. If you don't, a standard Gentex mirror will do but you will need to do the wiring yourself. It is really quite easy if you follow my instructions -- plus you get the added functionality of the reverse un-dim which the Mazda mirror does not support.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Regardless of the technical reasons, it was a mistake on Mazda's part to skip on this feature.

So what, exactly, is the reverse un-dim?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Regardless of the technical reasons, it was a mistake on Mazda's part to skip on this feature.

So what, exactly, is the reverse un-dim?
Reverse un-dim turns off the auto-dimming feature when you back up so you can see more clearly. This functionality is built into all Gentex mirrors, but most cars are not wired to enable it. The sGT has this wire that goes to the rear control unit, but other models do not. Aftermarket mirrors without a custom harness do not support it because it creates a lot of customer support issues.

While I think Mazda should have included the Homelink mirror as standard on the sGT, I'm sure, given their lack of profitability, they wanted to offer an aftermarket accessory. However, for technical and volume reasons, it didn't happen. They would have needed two different Homelink mirrors in addition to the one currently offered, one for the sGT w/o tech and one for the sGT with tech. That makes 3 sku's instead of one. Again, for a company that is unprofitable, it doesn't make sense. Now that Mazda has a sense of how many sGT's they will sell, we'll see if they come out with that accessory. As I've said in another post, their model strategy doesn't make sense because they have too many models and too much of a price range for the volume they have. Mazda is still a small company by auto standards.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yup I ordered the homelink mirror as per Rvoll's suggestions, and can't wait to get it installed..
my car should be coming in this month...=)

·
Registered
3 Posts
My garage door opener came with very small remote operators. I found that my operator clipped nicely below the steering column, just to the left of the indent for the tilt/telescope arm; it's out of sight and easy to access, so I'm not missing the homelink that much. Nevertheless, Mazda should have figured how to include that feature on the top model... (Would love memory buttons for the driver's seat, and window up/down lights as well! My prior car had all those features...)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up just using one of my spare remotes too. While I think it was a mistake to leave this feature off (it is pretty much standard on just about every decently trimmed car available these days), I don't think it is worth ~$300 just to get a compass and integrated remote.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts