2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the dealer install the OEM homelink auto dimming mirror today in my '15 S touring. Overall, I like it. It's bulkier than the standard mirror, but I can get rid of my transmitter for my garage door and the compass is nice to have. Come nighttime, however, I was surprised to find out that this mirror also has an ambient LED light built in on the backside of the mirror housing. Given that Mazda really skimped with interior illumination on the car, this is a great feature that I'm really happy to have and I had no idea it came with the mirror. The install instructions call it a "shift light". It's white to match the rest of the lights in the car. It's not super strong, but it does help class up the interior a bit. Anyway, I've not read this mentioned here, so I thought I would share if anyone was interested.

·
Working Class Hero
3,626 Posts
Interesting. The factory installed Homelink mirror doesn't have one of those. I'd say that's a small win for you!

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had the dealer install the OEM homelink auto dimming mirror today in my '15 S touring. Overall, I like it. It's bulkier than the standard mirror, but I can get rid of my transmitter for my garage door and the compass is nice to have. Come nighttime, however, I was surprised to find out that this mirror also has an ambient LED light built in on the backside of the mirror housing. Given that Mazda really skimped with interior illumination on the car, this is a great feature that I'm really happy to have and I had no idea it came with the mirror. The install instructions call it a "shift light". It's white to match the rest of the lights in the car. It's not super strong, but it does help class up the interior a bit. Anyway, I've not read this mentioned here, so I thought I would share if anyone was interested.
pics or vid please:smile2:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. The factory installed Homelink mirror doesn't have one of those. I'd say that's a small win for you!

Interesting. Which models get the home link mirror as standard? I did not think any of them did. I'll get some pics up later- does anyone have a picture of the factory home link mirror for comparison?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Compass? I have the Homelink mirror which came standard on the 2015 sGT, but no compass there.

·
Working Class Hero
3,626 Posts
S GT here as well. No compass as it has nav. And everyone knows when you have nav you no longer have a need for a compass...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting that the accessory mirror is more full featured than the factory one. I wonder why they would bother to have two homelnk mirrors in inventory.

·
Registered
198 Posts
S GT here as well. No compass as it has nav. And everyone knows when you have nav you no longer have a need for a compass...
I'm not so sure. The Nav tells me where I'm going, but I have it set to where the direction of travel is always up so I really don't know the compass direction. On the other hand, if I knew what would I do with that information? "No wonder the sun is shining in my eyes... I'm heading west!"

·
Working Class Hero
3,626 Posts
My point exactly. I really like having a compass because I really like knowing my direction of travel, not just where the nav arrow is pointing. I'm actually an old school paper maps guy. This is my first car with nav.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Driving regularly at night can affect your eyes due to multiple reasons. Avoid the glare from vehicles trailing you with the auto dimming rear view mirror from DPS that comes with onstar, homeline pairing as well as a camera. Auto Dimming Mirrors – DPS Automotive Group.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts