2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
********** updated 7/7 with How-To and updated pics on page 2 ************************

I couldnt find too much on Home Depot lips on genpus, but i went ahead and spent this great American Holiday in the spirit of DIY, and spent the 20$ to try this lip out. Now the problem I am having is that tiny little stock lip that the genpu has on the front corners... it's in the bumper using some weird azz screws, so i couldnt get it out. I am going to figure out how to get them out so the home depot lip can sit a little better and not look like i have two lips in the corners...

not sure if i'm gonna keep it, but i figured it was worth a try. it does help the front end look lower, which is really what I wanted, esp when i get my wheels later this week. i know some people will flame, but eat a bag of cocks. heres a side shot.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
double post

·
Registered
213 Posts
@ezpotato I want that too. Can you share what tools / items needed please. Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No theyre there. If you look up close. Its annoying. I guess you need to lift the car up and then pull em out or something.

·
Registered
175 Posts
how is the lip holding up? i was reading reveiws on the that scotch extreme mounting tape you used and everyone says its horrible, wont hold up anything, difficult to peel off the backing etc.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah that's the link i posted. theres different levels of that tape. some hold up to 2lbs, some 10lbs, the one i used is in the link and it holds up to 20 lbs.

the tape is holding up real well. i scraped my driveway last night very hard in a corner, and it tore a tiny bit of the lip, but the prt that was taped is perfectly held in place. the tape is a first line of enforcement. i also used the undercarriage shield screws and screwed them over the tape, so in the sides and in the centers, it's reinforced. i am also going to drill a couple more into the shield over the tape, so it will be veryyyy hard to get it off. it will get damaged before it comes off. i'll post pics later tomorrow when i get under the car.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
^ same thing happened to me as i was trying to reinforce it. i have to find another way, prob just drill and put a spacer/nut/bolt combo. just 4-5 of them

anyway, i took the time today to clean it up. i took off the little lips that come OEM, and spent more time lining the "lip" up properly. think it came out pretty good, always room for improvement, but i'm happy with it.

I WILL HAVE A HOW-TO in a little bit. I was the only one working on it, so taking pics while inst(alling was tough. I will upload what I have.

Let me know what you guys think. And yes, please spare the "it's cheap, looks stupid". if you dont like it, just say that, and no need to be a cock.

(and yes, i want coils, the CS SPrings are nice, but damn i need to close that gap by just another 1/2")

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Items needed:
Frost King E/O 2-1/4 in. x 16 ft. Rubber Garage Door Bottom Seal-G16H at The Home Depot
they sell that in a 9ft (i used about 7.5 feet) it's about $10 (qty:1)

Scotch 1 in. x 60 ft. Extreme Mounting Tape-414/DC at The Home Depot (qty: 2) ($6.97 each)

Screw driver (philips)
Drill
Drill bits
Towel/Cloth
Windex/cleaner

Jack the car up on both sides, use jack stands, makes it a lot easier. Dont be lazy on this part and try to do it when the car is on the ground. You will hate yourself and it wont come out right.

Total cost: ~$25
Total time: ~1 hour

Start on one side and take your time. You want it to be symmetrical and lined up. Clean hands is a plus while handling tape.

Yes, a lot of detail for a "ricer" mod. haha!

·
The tennerican!
683 Posts
^ same thing happened to me as i was trying to reinforce it. i have to find another way, prob just drill and put a spacer/nut/bolt combo. just 4-5 of them

anyway, i took the time today to clean it up. i took off the little lips that come OEM, and spent more time lining the "lip" up properly. think it came out pretty good, always room for improvement, but i'm happy with it.

I WILL HAVE A HOW-TO in a little bit. I was the only one working on it, so taking pics while inst(alling was tough. I will upload what I have.

Let me know what you guys think. And yes, please spare the "it's cheap, looks stupid". if you dont like it, just say that, and no need to be a cock.

(and yes, i want coils, the CS SPrings are nice, but damn i need to close that gap by just another 1/2")

I like it! I might just do this instead of the sti lip i have in the garage.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its def not as durable or "legit" but I like it for the price.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts