2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm working on upgrading my sound system in my car. The first thing I'm trying to do is install a subwoofer. I've got almost everything in place except for the power wire.

I know a lot of people might suggest "use the f'ing search!!" - believe me, I have. For days now.

I have a 2010 Mazda 3 hatchback (not too sure about trim model.. it's got a 2.5L).

Here are some spots people have suggested for getting through the firewall and why its not working for me:
1) Hood release cable - can't get wire through
2) Plastic plate covering clutch hole - I don't feel comfortable taking out my battery and other components just to maybe see if its possible to drill through this thing.
3) Steering wheel column - don't have jack stands so it's not really an option
4) Grommet behind glove box - this is well and all, but where most peoples pictures have shown a bundle of wires going to this location, I have nothing. The factory did cut a circular hole in the insulation where I guess those wires typically would go.

Can anybody suggest an alternative?

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
I have a 2010 and what I did was drill a hole where the rubber grommet was supposed to be behind the glove box. I don't have subs anymore so the hole is still there with the power wire through it. Will be taking it our eventually and sealing with a welded square metal plate or something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response.

I ended up doing the same thing you said.

I used a Unibit #3 drill head ([ame]http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-16-Inch-Step-Drill-10232/dp/B00004THYY[/ame]) to make a nice round hole in the firewall.

Instead of the usual o-ring grommet, my local hardware store had some of long wire sleeve grommets (looks like this: Contact ltd http://www.electrocontact.eu/gr/: Cable Strain Relief Sleeved Grommets Panel Cut Out Diameter 9.00mm Hole Diameter 5.50mm Length 35.00mm Black (BK)) that I ended up using. To help it stay in place, I applied some silicone glue.

I ran my wire through the hole no problems, and got it all hooked up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
what they said, just drill a hole (you see where it was designed to go obviously).

Then deburr the hole then install a grommet (or some other way to smooth it out). Done. :)

OH, and a great thing to do is take that time to install a little piece of foam by the damper inside the glove box to stop it from rattling. Win!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.