2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay i've done some research and i keep getting mixed messages soo i thought id come on in to revolution and get some realtime answers.

I've been wanting brighter lights.. nothing to bright where i blind everyone on the road but enough to make a difference... NOW my question is more or less for the LED i've ran HIDS before in other vehicles i know the pros and cons.. however LED not so much.

Winter time!! ahh yes the dreaded Canadian weather -35 weather where your nuts become your news adams apple HAA

will the LED get warm enough to melt ice or snow that builds up on the lens?
i've read many posts on other forums and what not saying don't buy them your winter visibility goes down do to build up of ice and or snow is this true??

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
will the LED get warm enough to melt ice or snow that builds up on the lens?
i've read many posts on other forums and what not saying don't buy them your winter visibility goes down do to build up of ice and or snow is this true??
Good question. I've been meaning to check on this. My LEDs have heat sinks that run at about 170°F, so some heat is being generated. I'll have to break out the infrared gun and see how warm the lens gets, or doesn't get as the case may be.
That being said, I quite often had to remove snow and ice from the halogen plow lights and head lights on the truck when it was snowing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Being plow.. different situation as your pushing snow constantly which it would be melting..

I just wanna know wether or not to upgrade to LED vs HID. Winter being a concern as its just around the bend.

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
Being plow.. different situation as your pushing snow constantly which it would be melting..

I just wanna know wether or not to upgrade to LED vs HID. Winter being a concern as its just around the bend.
Not really different. Snow on the lights is snow, no matter where it comes from. Even when the plow was up snow did stick on the lights. Its a matter of whether the heating action from the bulb can keep up with the cooling action of the snow and ice.

Anyway, I took a look today. After a 30 minute drive, I checked some temperatures. Air temp 35°F, surface of the car about 32°F, surface of the headlight lens about 45°F. So, some heat is being generated. Not as hot as halogens but still above freezing. Will it melt snow? Probably but not as fast. Then again, the halogens didn't do so well last winter either.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Not really different. Snow on the lights is snow, no matter where it comes from. Even when the plow was up snow did stick on the lights. Its a matter of whether the heating action from the bulb can keep up with the cooling action of the snow and ice.

Anyway, I took a look today. After a 30 minute drive, I checked some temperatures. Air temp 35°F, surface of the car about 32°F, surface of the headlight lens about 45°F. So, some heat is being generated. Not as hot as halogens but still above freezing. Will it melt snow? Probably but not as fast. Then again, the halogens didn't do so well last winter either.
Hmmm what to do.. have you ran LED in the winter?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Will Rain-X help?
I'm in Texas...what is this snow you speak of?

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have no personal experience, but through the years on various forums I've read a lot of complaints about LEDs being problematic in ice and snow conditions.

I've also read that some LED lights actually have heating elements in or near the lenses to ward off this problem.

If I were planning to install LEDs where it snows and freezes a lot, I'd google the topic to see what's out there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no personal experience, but through the years on various forums I've read a lot of complaints about LEDs being problematic in ice and snow conditions.

I've also read that some LED lights actually have heating elements in or near the lenses to ward off this problem.

If I were planning to install LEDs where it snows and freezes a lot, I'd google the topic to see what's out there.
Oh i have hence why im here seeing how everyone else with the mazda 3 have panned out.

My couson says its not different then halogens.. but know led and halogens put put different head in different locations so i dunno.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts