2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience towing with the 2.5L manual? I want to put a hitch on my sedan (against the better judgment of the owners manual) There's a genpu in my town that I see towing sleds occasionally, so I know it can be done. Just a matter on if it's reasonable or not.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Has anyone had experience towing with the 2.5L manual? I want to put a hitch on my sedan (against the better judgment of the owners manual) There's a genpu in my town that I see towing sleds occasionally, so I know it can be done. Just a matter on if it's reasonable or not.
Funny thing about that . No recommended tow rating for U.S.

Mazda Australia says 600 kilos (1323 lbs) unbraked. 1200 (2646) braked.
Make of it what you will.

I would be not afraid to tow using the Aussie limits.
I may be a little crazy that way though. I once put a hitch on first gen Ford Fiesta (66hp).
Happily, I do my towing now with a CX-5, not my 3, so easy for me to say.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I would only ever do it with a little utility trailer.

Interested that one market says it can but one says otherwise. I wonder why that’d be

·
Registered
290 Posts
Probably has something to do with the litigious nature of the USA. Even if it makes their product slightly more useful, why recommend something that increases risk to the customer and others on the road so therefore increases their exposure to liability.
Maybe they figure there are so many pickup trucks and utility vehicles in this country that most people aren't that interested in hauling with a compact car so they can get away with no recommendation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that would make sense. At least I know that it can be done. I honestly just want to have the ability to tow some camping gear or even just to help move stuff around. No plans to tow anything like a camper (I saw a maxima towing a full camping trailer before)

·
Super Moderator
5,578 Posts
Probably has something to do with the litigious nature of the USA. Even if it makes their product slightly more useful, why recommend something that increases risk to the customer and others on the road so therefore increases their exposure to liability.
Maybe they figure there are so many pickup trucks and utility vehicles in this country that most people aren't that interested in hauling with a compact car so they can get away with no recommendation.
Lawyers, warranties and stupid people.....
There are those who, if told it was ok to tow a trailer, would haul a 30 foot camp trailer with it then make a warranty claim for a broken transmission...and probably win.... This is just blanket coverage to prevent such absurdities.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts