2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, since I've owned the car (47 miles on the ODO), I've a hissing noise when I accelerate hard past 3500RPM.

I thought it was just the suction sound of the JBR intake, but now that I've removed my rear seat entirely, I notice that the sound is actually coming from the rear of the vehicle.

Could this just be the fuel pump? Does your Mazda3 also make this sound? I'll post a video later today.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Have someone sit back there and try to track down the location. I would not think the Fuel pump would make more noise than the car at acceleration.

·
aka Goodwrench
29 Posts
The high pressure fuel pump on driven off the exhaust cam on the engine.

If the sound is coming from the rear of the car, you might want to check the exhaust system for cracks or broken welds. Also have a look at the condition of the rear pipe connection to the muffler.

An easy and quick test for exhaust leaks is to start the car and let it idle. With a rag on you hand, cover both exhaust tips. This will build a little pressure in the exhaust, and if there is a leak or crack you should hear it as a hissing sound.

Be careful and good luck!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exhaust is in good condition, all connections are tight. The sound seems to come from around the rear passenger-side area. Any thoughts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts