2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if this feature is standard on 2014 Mazda 3.

Observed it on mine on uphill starts that it holds the break for few seconds which gives ample time to engage the gear and clutch release.

Nothing mentioned in saftey features in any North America Mazda's website.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think it's standard equipment on all 2014+ manual Mazda3's. I noticed it was well on mine.
The automatics have hill start assist too.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The automatics have hill start assist too.
I'm not really sure why, I've never had an issue with any auto equipped car rolling backwards on me in my 17 years of driving. Perhaps people in really hilly regions who don't know how to put their left foot on the brake will appreciate the feature. Personally I'm not real crazy about it and I didn't ask for it. Driving a manual well used to require some skill, now we got stuff like this hill assist and manual equipped cars out there that automatically match revs for you on downshifts.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I'm not really sure why, I've never had an issue with any auto equipped car rolling backwards on me in my 17 years of driving. Perhaps people in really hilly regions who don't know how to put their left foot on the brake will appreciate the feature. Personally I'm not real crazy about it and I didn't ask for it. Driving a manual well used to require some skill, now we got stuff like this hill assist and manual equipped cars out there that automatically match revs for you on downshifts.

It helps when parallel parking on a hill too. This is the first car I've had with this feature and really helps when I parallel park on hills. We have some pretty steep hills in my area.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2015 2.0 manual. I hate the HSA, it causes premature ware of the rear brakes(especially if you use Cruise Control a lot).
I would love to deactivate it.
Gone through 3 sets of rear pads in 60k mile.
Idaho, USA

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,667 Posts
It's actual name is hill launch assist and it has nothing to do with cruise control.

It is a feature that engages the brakes a second or two longer after releasing the brake pedal when you are on a steep incline to prevent your car from rolling backwards before you can get it going.

Traction control and the limited slip brake assist (think limited slip differential) may be what you are referring too.
CK

Limited brake assist to Limited slip brake assist

·
Super Moderator
6,547 Posts
2015 2.0 manual. I hate the HSA, it causes premature ware of the rear brakes(especially if you use Cruise Control a lot).
I would love to deactivate it.
Gone through 3 sets of rear pads in 60k mile.
Idaho, USA
HLA has nothing to do with brake wear or cruise control. If your rear pads are wearing quickly its because the rear brakes haven't been serviced properly and are sticking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
HLA has nothing to do with brake wear or cruise control. If your rear pads are wearing quickly its because the rear brakes haven't been serviced properly and are sticking.
no, no such problems with the calipers. all recalls performed and no sticking. you can feel it engage when going down hill with cc on as the system helps to curb the speed increase from the decent. its different from the fuel cut out when engine braking.

·
Super Moderator
6,547 Posts
no, no such problems with the calipers. all recalls performed and no sticking. you can feel it engage when going down hill with cc on as the system helps to curb the speed increase from the decent. its different from the fuel cut out when engine braking.
HLA has nothing to do with cruise control at all.....It only engages when the car is on an uphill slope. If your rear brakes are sticking its because whoever did the service didn't properly grease the sliders or clean the channels in the calipers.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,667 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
I like the hill launch assist feature on my Mazda3 automatic. Previous auto-tranny cars did roll back a bit on a steep hill after releasing the brakes. Although I could use the left foot to keep this from happening while accelerating with the right foot, I'd rather not have to do it, and the Mazda3 doesn't make me. Good feature to have!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I don't mind it. I'm pretty quick on the clutch so I don't often roll back at all but hey it doesn't get in my way so I'll take it. Might be making me lazy though lol.

·
Registered
977 Posts
My buddy with a newish (2018+?) Jetta 1.4T and six speed manual absolutely hates his. It seems to cause him to stall out. I haven't driven his... but on my Mazda6 6mt it is non-intrusive in its operation. Maybe Mazda implemented it well, versus VW...?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,667 Posts
I don't really use it, as I get on the clutch and throttle pretty fast. It's nice to have though. It doesn't seem to stay engaged once the car gets moving either.
CK

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
My buddy with a newish (2018+?) Jetta 1.4T and six speed manual absolutely hates his. It seems to cause him to stall out. I haven't driven his... but on my Mazda6 6mt it is non-intrusive in its operation. Maybe Mazda implemented it well, versus VW...?
Not uncommon for these safety features to behave very differently in different cars. My friend had a Mitsubishi lancer with ABS and TCS. Both would go off constantly when accelerating from a stop if there was the slightest bit of water on the road. He got a newer lancer, works fine.

·
Working Class Hero
3,734 Posts
Mine stalled me once when I invaded the two second hold time. I've learned to time my pedal usage to that two seconds.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts