2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For my 2013 MS3 I'm looking for the best intake for my money. I have a Cobb Ap so I went on Cobbs website and downloaded a map from every intake that is commonly available. I compared the maf calibrations for all of them to see how they stack up to each other. This an unbiased list of how they flow in order from highest to lowest. The info was taken directly from Cobb maf calculations. The more an intake flows the higher the g/s will be which tells the ecu to add more fuel to make more hp. Of course you need an AP tune and other supporting mods to make use of any higher flow characteristics other than the stock intake. The results are surprising especially for the stock airbox!

All g/s are at max flow at 5v which is the max voltage the maf sensor will read.
1. Injen CAI ................411 g/s
2. K&N SRI .................384 g/s
3. COBB SRI ...............383 g/s
4. CP-E NANO SRI .......363 g/s
5. CP-E CAI ................362 g/s
6. HKS SRI .................356 g/s
7. SURE SRI ...............347 g/s
8. CORKSPORT SRI .....345 g/s
9. STOCK AIRBOX .......329 g/s

Just to put these g/s numbers in perspective. The car measures intake airflow in grams per second (g/s).
In cold weather you'll flow higher g/s because air is denser. Warm weather car will flow less g/s because air is less dense. The below numbers are at approx 70 degrees ambient temps.
Running 100% catless stage 2 will up the g/s numbers also.

A Cobb stage 1 tune with just the stock airbox flows around 230 g/s.
A Cobb stage 1 tune with any of the above intakes flows around 230 g/s
A Cobb stage 2 tune with any of the above intakes flows around 280 g/s
A Cobb stage 2 tune with any of the above intakes and an upgraded turbo flows 350+ g/s

Point being that if your going to move into the 300+hp area choose you intake wisely or it will be a hindrance at a later date.

Truth is that an aftermarket intake is a waste of money if your not going to buy an AP or even if you do buy the AP and just stick to a stage 1 tune it won't out flow the stock airbox. The only way an aftermarket intake becomes valuable is if you move to a stage 2 tune where you upgrade the fp internals and open up the exhaust side with a down pipe or test pipe. People that are just running a aftermarket intake and nothing else are just making noise. The stock intake works just as well and is quieter.

The only intake I don't have data on James Barones new intake because Cobb doesn't have a tune for it and LEX's (Statified Tuning) maps are locked.

I'm also thinking that you don't even need to upgrade the stock airbox unless you install a bigger turbo. :001_unsure: Could it be that we are being fed a line of shit from all the makers of aftermarket intakes. If I only flowed 280 g/s with all the mods on my other MS3 (SRI, TIP, FP, DP, TMIC) why did I need to upgrade the stock airbox if it can flow 329 g/s?

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm also thinking that you don't even need to upgrade the stock airbox unless you install a bigger turbo. :001_unsure: Could it be that we are being fed a line of shit from all the makers of aftermarket intakes. If I only flowed 280 g/s with all the mods on my other MS3 (SRI, TIP, FP, DP, TMIC) why did I need to upgrade the stock airbox if it can flow 329 g/s?
For the TL; DR crowd this is the question.

It's starting to think were modding in the wrong order. It should be:

1 Cobb AP
2 Fuel pump upgrade
3 Test pipe or Down pipe
4 Intercooler
5 Catback

Then if you want to install a bigger turbo you buy an aftermarket intake along with it. If you can't make use of the higher flow of an aftermarket intake till you upgrade the turbo then why even buy one before then.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I bought mine solely for dat noise. But I dont have a speed haha

Sent from that one app with the gay annoying signature

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought mine solely for dat noise. But I dont have a speed haha

Sent from that one app with the gay annoying signature
At least your honest and at least you read thru the whole thread. LOL

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
I have heard this before. That an aftermarket intake doesn't do anything. But this is the first information I have ever seen that shows that. Very interesting.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Warlord... with all of these tests, is the TIP accounted for?

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Warlord... with all of these tests, is the TIP accounted for?
Looks to me only intake I bet if TIP was included with the intakes it would surpass the stock box by some degree but not to the point it will be worth the money. Might was well save for other mods.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Looks to me only intake I bet if TIP was included with the intakes it would surpass the stock box by some degree but not to the point it will be worth the money. Might was well save for other mods.
that's why I ask'd , coz some of the intakes didn't come with a TIP

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you guys thank the stock air box is as good as an aftermarket intake, you all shouldnt mod a vehicle anyways lol.

Not bashing. :)

But come on lol

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
^who said that the stock air box is as good as an Aftermarket intake?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Warlord and everyone agreeing. Except you, it looks like from reading the thread.

·
The tennerican!
683 Posts
Really? No ones is saying the stock is better what hes talking about is the "order" on wich most websites will tell u to do the different stages.his point is that replacing your intake first is really not the best option to achieve 300hp.other mods would yield more hp withouth the need of a new intake.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Really? No ones is saying the stock is better what hes talking about is the "order" on wich most websites will tell u to do the different stages.his point is that replacing your intake first is really not the best option to achieve 300hp.other mods would yield more hp withouth the need of a new intake.
You must not be reading.

·
Registered
150 Posts
For my 2013 MS3 I'm looking for the best intake for my money. I have a Cobb Ap so I went on Cobbs website and downloaded a map from every intake that is commonly available. I compared the maf calibrations for all of them to see how they stack up to each other. This an unbiased list of how they flow in order from highest to lowest. The info was taken directly from Cobb maf calculations. The more an intake flows the higher the g/s will be which tells the ecu to add more fuel to make more hp. Of course you need an AP tune and other supporting mods to make use of any higher flow characteristics other than the stock intake. The results are surprising especially for the stock airbox!

All g/s are at max flow at 5v which is the max voltage the maf sensor will read.
1. Injen CAI ................411 g/s
2. K&N SRI .................384 g/s
3. COBB SRI ...............383 g/s
4. CP-E NANO SRI .......363 g/s
5. CP-E CAI ................362 g/s
6. HKS SRI .................356 g/s
7. SURE SRI ...............347 g/s
8. CORKSPORT SRI .....345 g/s
9. STOCK AIRBOX .......329 g/s

Just to put these g/s numbers in perspective. The car measures intake airflow in grams per second (g/s).
In cold weather you'll flow higher g/s because air is denser. Warm weather car will flow less g/s because air is less dense. The below numbers are at approx 70 degrees ambient temps.
Running 100% catless stage 2 will up the g/s numbers also.

A Cobb stage 1 tune with just the stock airbox flows around 230 g/s.
A Cobb stage 1 tune with any of the above intakes flows around 230 g/s
A Cobb stage 2 tune with any of the above intakes flows around 280 g/s
A Cobb stage 2 tune with any of the above intakes and an upgraded turbo flows 350+ g/s

Point being that if your going to move into the 300+hp area choose you intake wisely or it will be a hindrance at a later date.

Truth is that an aftermarket intake is a waste of money if your not going to buy an AP or even if you do buy the AP and just stick to a stage 1 tune it won't out flow the stock airbox. The only way an aftermarket intake becomes valuable is if you move to a stage 2 tune where you upgrade the fp internals and open up the exhaust side with a down pipe or test pipe. People that are just running a aftermarket intake and nothing else are just making noise. The stock intake works just as well and is quieter.

The only intake I don't have data on James Barones new intake because Cobb doesn't have a tune for it and LEX's (Statified Tuning) maps are locked.

Here you go. Ill spoon feed you :) read the paragraph that starts with "Truth"

One of the best mods to do to a speed is an aftermarket intake.

Just dont want you all getting false info if your modding your speed for power.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
According to the numbers the stock box can flow enough air to yeild gains. What was said was that it's not needed until you have more mods done. It's still going to get you gains but there minimal until you have more power. That's my take on it anyway.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts