2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got pad fade today with stock pads and castrol srf fluid. I have previously been careful to tip toe around it but my pads are getting thin now and I just want to upgrade.

I don't care about dust as long as it is not corrosive. I need higher temp and low (no) noise cold.

I am considering EBC red but had mixed result when i used EBC yellow years ago when they had pad crumbling problems.

I like carbotech, I would get an XP8 but my prior experience is these sound like a freight train when cold.

Need opinions from the wise members.

Edit: i have an sTouring hatch

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've used EBC red and they also can scream like a steam train whistle until they wear in- which may take months of normal driving. To avoid this noise you need to use the tyre smoking break in procedure EBC recommend.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,069 Posts
EBC Green Stuff 2000 here.

Upgrading the rotors helps too. I got the EBC RK series.
CK

·
Registered
310 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've used EBC red and they also can scream like a steam train whistle until they wear in- which may take months of normal driving. To avoid this noise you need to use the tyre smoking break in procedure EBC recommend.
Thank you for the info. I have done those bed in procedures but have found if you don't brake hard every day it wears off in a day or two.

Have you tried it with EBC red?

EBC Green Stuff 2000 here.

Upgrading the rotors helps too. I got the EBC RK series.
CK
I thought EBC green was an OEM replacement option. Does it have higher temp rating?

As I understand gloc is equivalent (or even just different label) to carbotech. I have used Carbotech 1521 in the past and it is an OEM replacement, not a higher temp pad.

I see the gloc has a rating of 800, I wonder what the OEM pad is rated for. Even the R6 says it will squeal which is my experience with the AX6, XP8 and above from carbotech.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
So I got pad fade today with stock pads and castrol srf fluid. I have previously been careful to tip toe around it but my pads are getting thin now and I just want to upgrade.

I don't care about dust as long as it is not corrosive. I need higher temp and low (no) noise cold.

I am considering EBC red but had mixed result when i used EBC yellow years ago when they had pad crumbling problems.

I like carbotech, I would get an XP8 but my prior experience is these sound like a freight train when cold.

I'm on reds, bedded in, & they bite better than stock.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
"Have you tried it with EBC red? ". Yes the noise goes after a while, but in the meantime the whole neighborhood knows when your coming and going.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
"Have you tried it with EBC red? ". Yes the noise goes after a while, but in the meantime the whole neighborhood knows when your coming and going.
Hmmm. Odd. Never had such noises w/ reds & greens(on another car).

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
The greens are miles better than OEM. Smooth stopping, quiet, bites hard when you want.. i commute to Downtown LA.. when we were allowed.. and they are perfect.. The reds are a bit overkill for our 3 IMO.
CK

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm on reds, bedded in, & they bite better than stock.

How is the noise? Do you ever have to rebed them?

The greens are miles better than OEM. Smooth stopping, quiet, bites hard when you want.. i commute to Downtown LA.. when we were allowed.. and they are perfect.. The reds are a bit overkill for our 3 IMO.
CK
I drive my car a bit harder than stop light to stop light, no disrespect intended. That's why i exceeded the OEM heat capacity. I need higher temp pads.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
The Ultimax pads are OEM replacements. The Green Stuff 2000 are designed for cars like ours in the 200 bhp range. Less friction and improved fade resistance. The pads combined with improved rotors, like the EBC RK series, and you have a nice little setup.
CK

Reactions: PaulKim

·
Registered
215 Posts
Pads choice on stock brake calipers is very limited. If you want to have the flexibility to put whatever pad you want you have to change the front brake caliper (as I did).
Personally, I don't like EBC. From my experience, Reds came out cooked after 1 track day and Ultimax are junk.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Thank you for the info. I have done those bed in procedures but have found if you don't brake hard every day it wears off in a day or two.

Have you tried it with EBC red?

I thought EBC green was an OEM replacement option. Does it have higher temp rating?

As I understand gloc is equivalent (or even just different label) to carbotech. I have used Carbotech 1521 in the past and it is an OEM replacement, not a higher temp pad.

I see the gloc has a rating of 800, I wonder what the OEM pad is rated for. Even the R6 says it will squeal which is my experience with the AX6, XP8 and above from carbotech.
The G-Loc owners were Carbotech engineers for many years...

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I'm interested in G-Loc too.

EBC doesn't make rear pads for my ride, but G-Loc does... EPB BS..

It would be nice to upgrade both.
CK

·
Registered
38 Posts

BENDIX

·
Registered
316 Posts
Posted in another thread ---- I've got the similar situation but with the 2.0... but Japanese built with electric e brake. I got from disc brake Canada.. I've use there stuff and really like it... feel is good and doesn't overheat/shake when pushed to hot. No heat issues even on track where the stocks would shake after 1.5 laps... Friends are also using them on various cars and all are happy on street and track

Brake Pads and Rotors Canada | Brake Parts & Kits | CrossDrilledRotors.ca
Brake Pads and Rotors in Canada. Buy all your performance Brake pads, Rotors, Kits and Brake Parts online. 30 day return and free shipping on orders over $100. Proudly Canadian!
www.crossdrilledrotors.ca
www.crossdrilledrotors.ca

Only problem was getting the non electric brake version first shipment but they fixed really fast... everything in stock, fast and great price.

I've got the stainless coated, cross drilled with carbon pads. Under performance stainless drilled doesn't show but online chat they'll send you the link for it...

Last comment... Enter Promotional Code CM25
it'll give you 15% off

1 - 19 of 19 Posts