2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like K&N oil filters. But the Mazda dealership wrench-man said the high-compression Mazda-3 (2.5L) has high pressure oil lines. So I should stick with the Mazda oil filter. Comments ?

·
Super Moderator
5,553 Posts
Thats a new one.:laughing019:
Find a new dealer that isn't going to screw you over.
From what I hear Mazda oil filters are nothing more than rebranded filters from whoever has the low bid.........

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've been running pure1 filters for almost 50k miles, with a bosh tossed in there once. Nothing has happened.

The only pressure related issue is the bypass valve. It is known that skyactiv has high oil pressure and your filter needs to be compatabile.

(Edited) Wow.. just noticed that my phone didn't type in the extra "0" in 50K. Stating I've been running a oil filter for 5k with not issues is worthless :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I like K&N oil filters. But the Mazda dealership wrench-man said the high-compression Mazda-3 (2.5L) has high pressure oil lines. So I should stick with the Mazda oil filter. Comments ?
1. Your dealership wrench-man is an idiot. Engine compression has nothing to do with the oil pressure the said engine runs. Also, there are no external "oil pressure lines" on the 2.5L engine; and per the Mazda 3 FSM, oil pressures in the 2.5L run no higher than ~ 62psi @ 4500RPM. There's nothing unusual here - recommend finding a competent mechanic, or learn how to do these basic service jobs yourself.

2. To answer your question, no you don't need to stick with the Mazda filter - any quality oil filter will be fine. I've always had good results with the Purolator "PureOne" line of filters which are readily available, but the the K&N's are great too if you don't mind spending the extra coin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts