2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good idea or bad idea? I want to stay within my warranty and if they are the ones sending me there I feel like I'd be ok. They quoted a full install at about 250 bucks, seemed fair to me. Probably have em throw in the fog lamps all at once as well. Just looking for a little input. 2013 model

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Mazda Corporation warranties your car not the dealer. Since Mazda did't recommend you there they will not be responsible. The only warranty you'll have is from the company that installs the HID's. Ask what the installers warranty covers. They may only cover failure if the HID's themselves. If the cars electrical system gets fried you may be sol. Find out.

Install your own HID's. There's nothing the shop is going to do that you can't. It's an easy install. Nothing is going to go wrong, it's not rocket science. Save yourself some money.

·
Super Moderator
6,185 Posts
I've read that it's illegal to modify them, but how will an officer really know unless you get a silly color like purple. 4300k, 5000k, and even 6000k look OEM in my opinion. Here's the California Vehicle Code on headlights. Seems like all you need is two lights and you're good. You could always try the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras if you're that worried. I had some on my old Civic. They were definitely brighter, but didn't last more than a year.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd12c2a2.htm

https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/products/automotive/Pages/silverstar-ultra.aspx

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
If you proceed with this $250 is a great price for a compete HID retrofit. If all they are going to do is install HID bulbs and ballasts then they are overcharging. You can do it yourself for much cheaper. A legit retrofit is the way to go and with the proper HID housings are most likely legal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a bit of a read but here is my states code on vehicle lighting http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/docs/vcb/vcb816.pdf . And from everything the dealership said they made it sound like it would be a full installation. I'm gonna get some more details from them before I do anything. That vehicle code seems pretty strict and I don't wanna jump into something that's gonna end up costing me a lot more money than it should. Pay 250 and get a full legal install, or pay 65-100 and possibly get a $350 ticket.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Legal or illegal. Illegal is more fun. Legal in Florida is 28%. I'm at 15%. I've gotten tickets and nothing was ever said about my tint being to dark.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
If you proceed with this $250 is a great price for a compete HID retrofit. If all they are going to do is install HID bulbs and ballasts then they are overcharging. You can do it yourself for much cheaper. A legit retrofit is the way to go and with the proper HID housings are most likely legal.
I can't give you the exact passage in the California book but all HID retrofitting is illegal. However, the police generally will not care unless you 1) have a stupid color that blinds everyone including yourself, 2) have the lights aimed wrong and are blinding everyone else, or 3) they're just too damn high powered and obvious. Besides that, very little notice given to properly or semi-properly done retrofits.

·
Registered
29 Posts
just hide the baldest with zap straps and if anything goes wrong with ur car, u can always put the stock bulbs back on. the dealership wont even know. from what i have heard, changing a bulb, on ur car will not vold the warranty. its liek changing the windshield wipers

·
Registered
324 Posts
I can't give you the exact passage in the California book but all HID retrofitting is illegal. However, the police generally will not care unless you 1) have a stupid color that blinds everyone including yourself, 2) have the lights aimed wrong and are blinding everyone else, or 3) they're just too damn high powered and obvious. Besides that, very little notice given to properly or semi-properly done retrofits.
It's illegal to install HID bulbs in halogen housings, I've seen plenty of people pulled for other things and get written up for it. If you get an OEM-ish color I assume most people just think you're an asshat with their high beams on 100% of the time.

Even OEM colors will blind people though. I hate when people say PnP kits can be 'aimed' or claim casper shields eliminate the glare and hotspots.

If you install a PnP HID kit in a halogen housing you cannot 'properly' or 'semi-properly' install it. Period.

·
Registered
345 Posts
HID kits and even proper retrofits are actually illegal. Obviously doing it the right way won't garner you unwanted attention. Even around here they don't seem to care about PnP HIDs which drives me nuts. I get blinded by Civics on an almost daily basis. Even if the shop does it, it's not legal. If you had a shop perform a retrofit it will cost I the neighborhood of $700-$900. You can do it yourself for $300. You can do simple mods to our projectors to get decent output but nothing compared to a real xenon projector.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts