2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 mazda 3 hb grand tour s
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can i put a hide a key on my 2015 hb ? my better half has lost or Misplaced many keys in the past. i dont want her stranded some where. Key fob has door key in it. was going to put on car, so she can get in, but what and where can i do with key fob so car will start.

·
Super Moderator
5,342 Posts
Put it in your pocket.....
Seriously, do you really think its a good idea to leave a fob in the car? A key is bad enough. That would make it all to easy for anybody to jump in and just drive away....Try explaining this to your insurance company.
Maybe a lesson in personal responsibility is in order too. Next time a fob disappears make her jump through the hoops and shell out the cash to get it replaced.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Take the battery out of the fob, put it in a small plastic bag, with the fob, and hide it inside the car somewhere.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The easiest thing is to take the battery out of the fob and leave it in the car. I haven't found any spot on the outside of the car that will prevent the fob from unlocking the doors, and apparently the fob will eventually disrupt the automatic locking if it's in the car no matter how many layers of foil you wrap it in. Just take the battery out and show your wife how to start the car with a dead fob battery.
There's also a few easy spots to stash a key on the outside of the Mz3.

·
Registered
4 Posts
how can i put a hide a key on my 2015 hb ? my better half has lost or Misplaced many keys in the past. i dont want her stranded some where. Key fob has door key in it. was going to put on car, so she can get in, but what and where can i do with key fob so car will start.
Put it in a magnet box that magnets to the inner wheel fender

·
Registered
569 Posts
The easiest thing is to take the battery out of the fob and leave it in the car. I haven't found any spot on the outside of the car that will prevent the fob from unlocking the doors, and apparently the fob will eventually disrupt the automatic locking if it's in the car no matter how many layers of foil you wrap it in. Just take the battery out and show your wife how to start the car with a dead fob battery.
There's also a few easy spots to stash a key on the outside of the Mz3.
The fob should be hidden pretty well 'cuz I expect that most thieves know about the "fob-battery-dead" starting procedure. Probably glovebox is a bad choice. If you contemplate trunk... just wondering if when you use the key to open the door - does the trunk-opening button work - or is it disabled due to no active keyfob? Underhood is a possibility though you have to consider the heat... damaging the fob...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Just another comment...if you go the hide a key route with it hidden somewhere under the car and the key fob well hidden inside the car (with the battery removed)...you will need to find a good locksmith who accurately can cut the keys. Make sure the keys work properly....fit, unlock and lock. It can be a tough cut for some locksmiths and it took mine a couple of cuts before they got each key right.

As for the wife who loses the key...tell here ripping the pantyhose to get underneath the car for the hide a key is better than a lot of other options.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts