2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -
Has anyone installed a "hidden" hitch on a 2014 Mazda 3 GT hatch?
I have been looking for one where the drawbar/hitch hides under the rear bumper, and only the little square ball mount connection is visible.
Has anyone found a "hidden" hitch that fits?

Thanks!

Dj Disaster

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the Curt hitch on my 2011 and I can only see the square part of the hitch coming out from under my bumper. I use it to tow a trailer with my motorcycle and also a hitch bike rack. I absolutely love it. Installation took about an hour.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'd love to find a source for this one...

100% invisible when not in use due to the u-shaped ball mount. Brilliant and a Mazda genuine accessory everywhere on the planet except North America :(

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'd love to find a source for this one...
Mazda3 Genuine Tow Bar Kit - YouTube

100% invisible when not in use due to the u-shaped ball mount. Brilliant and a Mazda genuine accessory everywhere on the planet except North America :(
Love this!! I would get it in a heartbeat, if only it were available in North America. I just don't understand Mazda's pick and choose method of making accessories available, in different markets.:argh:

·
Registered
188 Posts
This looks great. However, it looks like the Australian spec M3 has a cut-out on the rear bumper to accommodate the addition of this hitch? I check my M3 SGT hatch, and it doesn't look like such a cut-out exists. So it would seem even if I found a way to get my hands on this kit, it would not be possible to install, unless manually cut-out the piece from the bumper or also find the Aussie spec bumper?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Love this!! I would get it in a heartbeat, if only it were available in North America. I just don't understand Mazda's pick and choose method of making accessories available, in different markets.:argh:
The OEM hitch seems to have a lower capacity than the American alternatives. If you take a look at the construction architecture, you can see why. The reason they don't offer the towing accessory in the U.S. is that towing is "not allowed" on our 3 and to offer an accessory for something that isn't allowed makes no sense. But then again, not being able to tow light loads on our 3 makes little sense.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The OEM hitch seems to have a lower capacity than the American alternatives. If you take a look at the construction architecture, you can see why. The reason they don't offer the towing accessory in the U.S. is that towing is "not allowed" on our 3 and to offer an accessory for something that isn't allowed makes no sense. But then again, not being able to tow light loads on our 3 makes little sense.
But yet, like you, I can have an aftermarket hitch (granted it's got a higher capacity) installed and tow light loads all day without any legal problems for me or the manufacturer. It really makes no sense. It works fine in other parts of the world, but for some reason, once it's installed in the US, it's a danger and "not allowed", even with a towing capacity of the hitch and car. But, if I were to ever to figure out some of these silly US regulations, I'd be the first.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
But yet, like you, I can have an aftermarket hitch (granted it's got a higher capacity) installed and tow light loads all day without any legal problems for me or the manufacturer. It really makes no sense. It works fine in other parts of the world, but for some reason, once it's installed in the US, it's a danger and "not allowed", even with a towing capacity of the hitch and car. But, if I were to ever to figure out some of these silly US regulations, I'd be the first.
I don't think it is government regs that are the problem. I think it is the Mazda lawyers. The problem is with the brakes as they are not strong enough to carry a full class 1 load. They don't sue as much in Australia and the U.K. and their attitude is more of let the users take the risk. So they put weight limitations in the manual and that's enough protection. In the U.S., personal injury lawyers/ambulance chasers would say that owner's would not reasonably know the weight they were pulling regardless of what is said in the manual. There can always be a bigger warning label. Right?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I don't think it is government regs that are the problem. I think it is the Mazda lawyers. The problem is with the brakes as they are not strong enough to carry a full class 1 load. They don't sue as much in Australia and the U.K. and their attitude is more of let the users take the risk. So they put weight limitations in the manual and that's enough protection. In the U.S., personal injury lawyers/ambulance chasers would say that owner's would not reasonably know the weight they were pulling regardless of what is said in the manual. There can always be a bigger warning label. Right?
You do raise a very good point and are probably very much correct. Unlike the rest of the world, we do sue over any, and everything. Here, it would certainly be someone else is fault that we didn't read the warning labels, owner's manual and use common sense, even with a warning label covering to whole back window.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In addition to the lawyer argument, the same can be said for "warranty" issues. I owned a Subaru for a long time, and the same thing applied to SOA.

If they offer an OEM tow hitch, then Americans think that any damage done to the vehicle with the tow hitch would also be under warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts