2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a lighting enthusiast and I love HID's and LED's
But for now, LED's can't touch HID's when it comes to road visibility/output as well as price...

On most car forums I've seen people retrofit HID projectors to fog lights
Surprisingly, I haven't seen anyone on this forum do this..

Most people just stuck HID's in the stock housings like I did, which worked fine

Or bought the (IMHO Overpriced) Morimoto LED fog light replacements which only produce 1200 lumens per side... when high quality HID's give you 3300+ Lumens
Although I can't blame them, it's the only plug and play aftermarket replacement available, and they are projected so they will light better compared to stock despite having similar lumen rating to the halogen. Plus the lights look aesthetically better than stock and you get the signature white light.

Anyway I decided to retrofit and bought some sealed H11 Projector Housings
I figured since our cars use plastic fog light brackets I could just buy another set and modify those to make it work instead of hacking the stock ones
Rock Auto has them for $5 a side
Part #'s
BHR151694A
BHR151684A

Since they are plastic they were so easy to modify with my Dremel and a grinding attachment

trying them out on my test bench

Also, I have replacement HID bulbs so I essentially have 2 sets of fog lights ready to bolt in if I ever want to go back to stock in about 5 minutes
Here are stock units compared to my new modified units side by side

It just looks so right.. =]
(and that wire sticking out of the left side is just the DRL power wire for my aftermarket LED fog light covers)

The stock fog lights were already recessed with the stock cover and had a gap, the gap was even bigger with these aftermarket housings
However, these projector housings fight PERFECTLY with these aftermarket covers - it lined up perfectly and the projector sits flush with the cover
(some slight grinding was needed towards the bottom for the opening, but otherwise worked perfect)

Here are some pictures in front of a wall
I turned the exposure all the way down because it was too bright, but this way you can see the cut off

The fog light brackets come with a fixed adjustment hole at the bottom, I just grinded off the plastic so I could freely aim them.
With some playing around I got them almost perfect, the driver side is slightly higher than the passenger side but is no big deal. I can always go back and make a slight adjustment.

They are pretty much aimed straight like the headlights, and they light up all the area where the headlights dont

This is about 4ft away

The beam widens significantly the farther away you go, but the headlights still have a slightly wider beam
I just wanted to show how the cut offs look and how I adjusted them compared to the headlights
This is barely about 1-2ft away from my house (exposure turned all the way down here too)

These aren't even fog lights anymore, they are a second set of driving lights (which is exactly what I wanted)
The amount of light I get now is ridiculous compared to stock housings w/HID
They light up all of the lower area that my headlights don't
Sadly I didn't take any pics like this showing the output of stock housings with HID compared to these projected ones, but they are night and day difference

Attachments

Reactions: mjack123

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
OMG Love! Would you consider making and selling these? I would be down!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eh. Tons of foreground and still not that much with up close.
That's the point? It lights up what my headlights don't
it lights up the entire road down low

I know its hard to see with these pics that I took with my phone
but the light beams actually cross and blend in with each other working together, it was really hard to get them aimed like that without having the fog lights blind people from really far away
Look at that air vent or whatever that is in the wall where my headlights are shining at at the last 2 pics
Then look at the pic with the fog lights on, look how much brighter that spot is - that's because both the fog light and headlights are lighting that spot
The cut off still remains a few inches below the headlight cut off, its just so bright even I can barely see it in person
Maybe I should've used my DSLR but I just wanted to take pics after work since I have no time

I had taken more pics but didn't bother uploading them because you can barely see the cut off..
This is the best one I took where you can barely see it! and barely... only on the right side lol

so no... it's not just foreground light
But it does give me a lot of it :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nice retro, but the key is you don't want to much foreground. It reduces your ability to see things further down the road. I have s2k projectors retroed in my 3 and are amazing for width and distance. Don't even use my fogs

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OMG Love! Would you consider making and selling these? I would be down!!
Sorry, I had this done right before having surgery and it was a pain in the ass.
But I'll put links below if you want to attempt this yourself.

Hey there,

Can you provide links to everything you bought? It would be great if we could order the same things and tackle it ourselves as well!
I actually bought these that are marketed specifically for our 2014+ Mazda 3's as Plug and Play
HOWEVER... they are NOT plug and play, even though the pictures are of them on a Mazda 3
I actually spent most of my time going back and forth with the seller
Initially when I received them, I did a test fit and could not for the life of me get them to work with the stock fog light brackets. I went back and forth with the seller and they finally allowed me to ship them back for an exchange...
When I received the replacements.. it was the same story - they wouldn't work as PNP.
After going back and forth with them for over a month I finally got ebay to forcefully make them give me a refund and I shipped them back.
To my surprise, they refused the return shipment (per usps) I sent them and they came back to me - so I kept them.
So I was left with free projectors after going back and forth with these guys for over a month

Direct Fit Projector Fog Lamps for Mazda 3 5 6 MX 5 CX 7 HID Lights Compatible | eBay

Since I had these projectors I still wanted to make them work, so that's when it came to me that I could order replacement fog light brackets and see if I could modify those to make them work.
Go on Ebay, Amazon, or Rock Auto and get these part #'s.
They're relatively cheap so you don't have to hack your stock ones.

BHR151694A
BHR151684A

After some serious modifying/grinding with a dremel they will finally fit.
The good thing is that the adjustment screw hole and 2 mounting holes do line up.
I also went to Lowes and got some replacement screws that would fit in the adjustment hole at the bottom, I don't know what size it was sorry.

For the HID's I've always used OPT 7 from Ebay for all my cars
Never had any problems with them and they are very high quality as long as you buy the AC Ballasts

I got their SLIM AC Ballasts and I love them
It's $60 if you get the set with them
Don't get the cheaper DC ballasts, get the BOLT series.
I also had the regular BOLT ballasts, they are the oldschool big metal ballasts

OPT7 H11 H8 H9 HID Kit 5000K 6000K 8K 10000K White Blue Xenon Conversion Light | eBay

I have aftermarket fog light covers with LED's but I had to make the opening slightly bigger by grinding it with my dremel.
You may or may not have to do the same with the stock covers. It's just plastic anyway so it's not a big deal, plus it was just only barely.
The last thing you need to do is just aim them right.
When I plugged them in with the 'fixed' adjustment hole, one side was too low and the other was too high (going higher past the low beams from far away)
Dremel out the plastic from the adjustment hole so you can freely adjust them. It's kind of a pain in the ass because you have to try aiming them while the headlights are on because you can't turn them on independently.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice retro, but the key is you don't want to much foreground. It reduces your ability to see things further down the road. I have s2k projectors retroed in my 3 and are amazing for width and distance. Don't even use my fogs
Oh trust me they have the distance :wink2:
It came to me the other night when I came into my driveway with the truck infront of me that I could 'block' the low beam with my hand to show the fog light only, and the truck would block the other low beam light.
Still crappy phone pics but you can see just how good they throw distance wise, just as good as the low beams.

But yes I do wish that instead of foreground they gave me more width for sure
The headlights are wider.
But I'm still happy, they give me distance and foreground while the headlights give me distance and width - a fair combination I'd say

Attachments

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I actually saw these on ijdmtoys a while back. I was thinking of trying them out to see if they perform better than the morimotos but after seeing the pics of how narrow the beam was, I passed. I just wanted more lights to the side. From the looks of it, they do make great driving lights with the extra foreground light. Can't go wrong with free projectors :D

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Hey @Valor_X what problem did you run into when installing these? Other than having the shave off part of the fog light cover. I might just pick up a set from ijdmtoy and see if I like them over the morimotos. I get bored and feel like trying different things lol I won't use HID for fogs tho, not a fan of that. I will probably use the piaa ion yellow or philips h11 LED again.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey @Valor_X what problem did you run into when installing these? Other than having the shave off part of the fog light cover. I might just pick up a set from ijdmtoy and see if I like them over the morimotos. I get bored and feel like trying different things lol I won't use HID for fogs tho, not a fan of that. I will probably use the piaa ion yellow or philips h11 LED again.
Well if you do what I did you could make yourself an extra plug and play set that you could swap out whenever you want.
I really do highly recommend you get yourself an extra set of fog light brackets that I mentioned in the post, they're cheap. Rock Auto has them the cheapest.

As mentioned in my post... they are absolutely not plug and play 'direct fit' like they state. Perhaps Axela Mazda's fog brackets are different and don't require modification...??
Well in any case, you have to actually dremel off a considerable amount (like... a ton) of the plastic from the opening to get them to fit in there and line up with the mounting holes.

I used this exact sanding attachment, its very coarse and made it so easy. It literally just ate through the plastic

DON'T use a cut off wheel, use a grinder/sander like this
You can keep test fitting and see where you need to off more plastic from.
By the way, ALL the plastic I had to cut off was from the bottom of the opening and the sides if I remember correctly.
Also make sure you do this outside because you're going to have shredded plastic everywhere haha

After carefully taking my time on the first one and seeing what I needed, the second one was a breeze.

Finding an additional 'mounting/adjustment' screw at Lowes was also a PITA but I found one. Take the one from your existing fogs so you can find it.

Besides that I had to grind off a very slight amount of plastic from the fog cover opening with the same grinding attachment (but mine is aftermarket so I don't know if that's the case with stock)

Mine also required manual aiming, the 'fixed' mounting hole was no good for me. The plastic can also be easily ground off to let you aim it... but because we can't independently turn on fogs only its kind of a PITA. If you aim them too high, they will surpass the low beams from a greater distance. Too low, and they will just be hitting the street infront of you.
If i were to do it again I would cover the headlights with a towel or something.
But since you are planning to use Yellow lights you might not even have too. I had 5000k HIDs on both so the light blended in.

All in all, it's really not difficult at all. The hardest part is all the grinding and aiming.
As long as you give yourself a few hours for the project, you'll be left with a nice set of PnP projectors.

Reactions: lowincash

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Cool thanks for the info, I'll probably try this out after I complete my body/lip kit. I'll probably buy extra set of brackets too if I do play around with it. So basically the projector is just hitting the cover piece? If so it shouldn't be too hard, I'll probably get an extra set of covers too lol But yeah I already cut off that little plastic piece so I can aim the fog lights. I did use a towel to cover the headlights while I was aiming the morimoto fogs tho lol

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool thanks for the info, I'll probably try this out after I complete my body/lip kit. I'll probably buy extra set of brackets too if I do play around with it. So basically the projector is just hitting the cover piece? If so it shouldn't be too hard, I'll probably get an extra set of covers too lol But yeah I already cut off that little plastic piece so I can aim the fog lights. I did use a towel to cover the headlights while I was aiming the morimoto fogs tho lol
Yeah it was barely enough for the cover not to snap back in
it required very little grinding, you can't even tell at all
At least in the aftermarket cover that chrome circle around the fog is just plastic so it easily ground off what I needed

Reactions: lowincash

·
Registered
18 Posts
@Valor_X I have the same LED covers on my fogs I think. But I can't seem to find a fuse to tap for those covers to work. I've tried all three 15A engine fuses, the DRL fuse and engine IG fuse (found on this post). Any recommendations / pics of where you tapped?

Also what did you tap into for your hatch lights? I'm guessing you used a dummy bulb but I keep reading about the rvcm (RCBM) or some little box in that back that doesn't like the low draw of LEDs

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Valor_X I have the same LED covers on my fogs I think. But I can't seem to find a fuse to tap for those covers to work. I've tried all three 15A engine fuses, the DRL fuse and engine IG fuse (found on this post). Any recommendations / pics of where you tapped?

Also what did you tap into for your hatch lights? I'm guessing you used a dummy bulb but I keep reading about the rvcm (RCBM) or some little box in that back that doesn't like the low draw of LEDs
Refer to this post

Also, I don't have a hatch. My car is a sedan

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/1829514-post6.html

Reactions: amalgarhythm

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm heading to autozone right after work to look for a different add a fuse piece and trying that slot. Thanks
That slot is unused in my car, so it didn't have a fuse
I literally just stuck a male spade connector and it works
anyone of these will work

·
Registered
18 Posts
That slot is unused in my car, so it didn't have a fuse
I literally just stuck a male spade connector and it works
anyone of these will work

Yeah I work in engineering shop and there's a bunch of these around. I'm testing all my connection points today. I'm thinking I may have a broken wire or a bad physical connection somewhere cuz my covers still did turn on after using that spade connector. So lunch time is a point to point continuity test time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts