1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the precautions one should have HID's; like

Dont turn on the lights without the engine on

Dont shut down the car before the lights

(im not sure if these are true or not can anyone confirm and add any other)

thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have just heard, and always avoided STARTING my car with them on... voltage fluctuation and all that. my ddms are actually ONE ear installed today. zero hiccups... So I am going to keep it up :D

start it, then turn them on. turning the car off I have done both ways.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have just heard, and always avoided STARTING my car with them on... voltage fluctuation and all that. my ddms are actually ONE ear installed today. zero hiccups... So I am going to keep it up :D

start it, then turn them on. turning the car off I have done both ways.
+1
true just never never turn your lights one first then you start your car that's a no no lol

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so its ok to run the lights without turning the car on??

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
ive ran my HIDs without the engine on.. why is it better to have the engine running?
Because cranking the engine when u have the HID's on causes a very heavy load on the battery, the system voltage can drop quite low during cranking and dat little squared thingi dat the HID's have the blast thin lol can get messes up causing it to get messed up it happen to my friend in his car and motorcycle

He all always had them on before he started is engine and they didn't last him dat long

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Because cranking the engine when u have the HID's on causes a very heavy load on the battery, the system voltage can drop quite low during cranking and dat little squared thingi dat the HID's have the blast thin lol can get messes up causing it to get messed up it happen to my friend in his car and motorcycle

He all always had them on before he started is engine and they didn't last him dat long
Have DDMs and no problems. Past a year at least. I usually turn mine on after I start the car, but just out of habit to get my music playing faster then I worry about my lights, etc. before driving. El, hate to be a grammar police but that last post was pretty tough to get through. Try using "that" instead of "dat" and reread what you wrote beforehand. I had to reread it 3 times to figure out what you said

·
Registered
214 Posts
i never turn them on first i usually turn on the car then the lights and music always done it that way never knew it was harmful to turn on the lights first..

·
Registered
174 Posts
yeah i don't do it regularly, there was a time i was looking at my headlights when i put in the hids, and had to reposition them a bit, so i had the lights on without the engine

my normal routine is to start the car, than turn on the headlights a few seconds after so they warm up

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No if u have HID's no turn your car on first then the lights
what i meant to say was; if i was not going to turn on my car and just wanted to turn on the lights can i turn on the hids by themselves ??

·
Registered
323 Posts
what i meant to say was; if i was not going to turn on my car and just wanted to turn on the lights can i turn on the hids by themselves ??
Yea you could

·
Registered
323 Posts
Have DDMs and no problems. Past a year at least. I usually turn mine on after I start the car, but just out of habit to get my music playing faster then I worry about my lights, etc. before driving. El, hate to be a grammar police but that last post was pretty tough to get through. Try using "that" instead of "dat" and reread what you wrote beforehand. I had to reread it 3 times to figure out what you said
Hahaha I know I try to use that instead of dat lol but sometimes hard because I am used to typing dat

·
Registered
323 Posts
yeah i don't do it regularly, there was a time i was looking at my headlights when i put in the hids, and had to reposition them a bit, so i had the lights on without the engine

my normal routine is to start the car, than turn on the headlights a few seconds after so they warm up
Thats what I do

·
Registered
191 Posts
bottom line is you could do whatever you want to them and nothing will happen[.] I sell and install hids and thats bull :shit:! The ballast is suppose to run at 100% power so when you start the car all they do is dim (same thing w/ the dtrl, the hids would be at 50% in the day so you would need a relay kit to put them at 100%):eek:fftopic:< but thats another story.

I always leave my lights on w/ the car beign off if thats what your asking but regardless nothing will harm them unless they are a cheap brand then who knows they might just burn out, but like i said i nothing happens if anything were to happen the lights would fliker, thats a bad sign from the start, since mazda is foreign its not soppouse to do that.

If you have any questions just ask away :biggrin:

·
The One and Only
3,581 Posts
Like the others said you can run the lights with the engine off. Just do not start the engine with the lights on because you might fry your ballast since the cars electrical system was not designed for HID's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts